cloudy

MaryamSeresht

Persian
Hi,

Would you please suggest if cloudy here means marked with streaks/lines or muddy?

" They watched with horror as two boys calmly chopped down a bamboo from their property and carried it off right in front of their noses, a long taut drumstick, still cloudy and shivering with the push and pull...."

Thanks.
It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel by Kiran Desai.

• Myridon

English - US
    It means nothing to me. "Cloddy" could mean "muddy" but not "cloudy." I can't remember ever hearing "a bamboo" either, but we don't have much bamboo around here. :)

Myridon

English - US
    No 4. opaque or muddy
    That would be appropriate usage in reference to something normally transparent (like tea.) not a solid object (a stalk of bamboo). It's "muddy" as the opposite of "clear", not "muddy" covered in wet dirt.
    Also, "still cloudy" indicates that something they did made it "cloudy" and that this is expected to be a temporary condition.

danusia

Polish
    Hi, Would you please suggest if cloudy here means marked with streaks/lines or muddy? " They watched with horror as two boys calmly chopped down a bamboo from their property and carried it off right in front of their noses, a long taut drumstick, still cloudy and shivering with the push and pull...." Thanks. It's part of Inheritance of Loss, a novel by Kiran Desai.
    It looks like the author doesn't have a good grip of the English language. Not only her usage of the word 'cloudy' but also comparison of the bamboo stick to a 'shivering' 'taut drumstick' is rather very stretched.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I suspect that Desai, who will certainly know his bamboo, is referring to a powdery grey coat that bamboo naturally has. Before it is used, or as a result of using it, this greyish coating is rubbed off.

See picture

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    I think the clouds are the leaves of the bamboo which have not yet wilted or been cut off. If you squint the right way, they look like green clouds. They are shivering from the unaccustomed motion as the canes with their attached leaves are being carried off.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I picture the shivering like exgerman and Loob.

I thought the cloud could refer to the wood shavings that the bamboo gives off when it is cut.

Copyright

American English
    I picture the shivering like exgerman and Loob.

I thought the cloud could refer to the wood shavings that the bamboo gives off when it is cut.
    While I'm not an appreciative fan of some of Desai's writing, I do think it would probably be the cloud of fine-leafed greenery here -- the bamboo would probably have been chopped down with a machete, which would normally be a single cut that produced no chips or shavings.

< Previous | Next >