Club fighter

< Previous | Next >

Coach V.

italy - italian
Hello everybody!
I'm translating the book "The rise and fall of Cinderella Man" from english into italian and I've found the term "club fighter".
The original sentence is "He wasn't yet at the club-fighter stage, because he was still asked to headline cards..."

I think there is not an equivalent in italian but I need to fully understand what does it mean or where does it come from in order to find the correct italian term or sentence to use.

Thanks!!

• Coach V.

italy - italian
    No, it is something worse.

For example, Floyd Mayweather is going to fight Arturo Gatti on June 25th and he just told the press: "He's a club fighter. He's a C-plus fighter and they put C-minus fighters in there on HBO and they have a war, a good fight. Or they may put a guy in there who is an old champion and (Gatti) beats him up and they give him so much praise. They say this guy's got so much blood and guts and how good his chin is..."

He means he's a low level fighter, a low class one...something like this

Manuel_M

Maltese
    yes..a club fighter would be of low level compared to an international-class fighter..or even one who is good enough to represent a large region (say a State in the U.S). The context you give (C+ fighter) seems to reinforce thsi interpretation, to my mind, at least.

Isotta

English, Hodgepodge
    I believe club fighting would essentially be unlicensed boxing, as one sees in the movie "Fight Club" and more accurately in "Snatch." The appeal would be that the "blood is real." I hope there is not an equivalent for it in Italy...

Isotta.

ikester

US - American English
    Coach V. said:
    Hello everybody!
    I'm translating the book "The rise and fall of Cinderella Man" from english into italian and I've found the term "club fighter".
    The original sentence is "He wasn't yet at the club-fighter stage, because he was still asked to headline cards..."

I think there is not an equivalent in italian but I need to fully understand what does it mean or where does it come from in order to find the correct italian term or sentence to use.

Thanks!!
    In the context of your original sentence, they seem to be speaking about a boxer who is nearing the end of his career. "He wasn't yet at the club-fighter stage, because he was still asked to headline cards..." The indication is that he's losing status, and will soon be just a club fighter again.

The term "club fighter" denotes an amateur boxer, who is a member of a boxing team, usually named after the gym where they train. Traditionally, teams are called "XXXX Boxing Club" or "XXXX Athletic Club".

ciao,

< Previous | Next >