What should I call you? :)

1. My fellow members on/of the forum
2. My co-members on/of the forum
3. My forum mates

Thanks

Last edited:
  • BobbieCB

English - USA Midwest & Southern
    Option (1) sounds fine. Option (2) would be less common but still sounds fine.
    As a native speaker of American English, no one in the U.S. would say option (3).
    This might be different in the U.K. or Australia or other countries that use the word "mate."

G.Determinism

Persian
    Thanks a lot.

In options 1 and 2, it should be 'of' or 'on'?

If I want to be more specific, for example, by referring to a particular nationality or using the word 'native', how should I do that?

"It seems our Britsh/native fellow members on/of the forum have a different opinion about it."

Is that right?

Thanks

Packard

USA, English
    I would leave out "fellow" entirely. It conveys a sense of ownership would annoy me if I were a member.

It is no mystery to me that the famous Kennedy quotation is almost always shortened to exclude "My fellow...".

This is the full quotation:

My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

And this is how it is almost universally quoted:

Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

G.Determinism

Persian
    Thanks,

So how should I address people here in a way that's both friendly and not annoying? I remember I used 'friends' once, and some people didn't like it. How would you paraphrase this sentence?

"It seems some of our American/British/native fellow members on/of the forum have a different opinion about it."

Thanks

AutumnOwl

-
    Swedish
    "It seems some of our American/British/native fellow members on/of the forum have a different opinion about it."
    "It seems some of our American/British/native forum members on/of the forum have a different opinion about it."
    I've also seen the use of "foreros" for members here.

< Previous | Next >