coach-builder

< Previous | Next >

Meritzias

Turkish
Hello,

Despite having two English versions of Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera, I couldn't understand exactly: Sorelli owes her success to WHAT?

You will surely know who I have in mind when I use those words; obviously not Carlotta who can’t sing to save her life and who should never have left Les Ambassadeurs or the Café Jacques; nor La Sorelli who owes her success mostly to the way she’s built.

Of course, when I use these words, I do not mean to apply them to La Carlotta, who sings like a squirt and who ought never to have been allowed to leave the Ambassadeurs and the Cafe Jacquin; nor to La Sorelli, who owes her success mainly to the coach-builders.

• Chasint

English - England
    It makes no sense to ask us to choose between two completely different translations of a French text. There is no way that we can decide which (if any) is correct. I suggest you go to the French-English forum and ask them about the specific passage in French.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    nor La Sorelli who owes her success mostly to the way she’s built. -> this implies that she has a wonderfully attractive body.
    to La Sorelli, who owes her success mainly to the coach-builders. -> this implies the same thing but also adds that her body seems to have been built by craftsmen

lingobingo

English - England
    It means that she was “Rubenesque” (pleasingly plump), which would have been very fashionable at the time.

< Previous | Next >