coal shoveler

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ethereyes, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. ethereyes Member

    English, US
    what do you call people whose job is manually shoveling coal into the furnace of a steamboat or steam engine? i know coalmen deliver coal and coal miners dig it out of the earth, but is there a specific word for this kind of worker?

    thanks in advance.
  2. panjandrum

    panjandrum Occasional Moderator

    Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    That is a stoker.
    He stokes the furnace.

    There's another word for the man who stokes the fire on a steam train ..... come on brain ...
    Got it - the fireman.

    (Shoveller, with two l's, in BE)

    (Please use capital letters in your posts where appropriate)
  3. . 1 Banned

    Ferntree Gully
    Australian Australia
    I think that a tender is another way to describe a person who shovels coal in a steam train.

  4. MissFit

    MissFit Senior Member

  5. ethereyes Member

    English, US
    fireman it is. but i wonder if this meaning of the word has fallen out of general usage, at least in the u.s.
    thanks everyone, especially MissFit for the very helpful link!

Share This Page