1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

"coarse fishing rod" vs. "fly fishing rod"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by subtitler, Jul 5, 2007.

1. subtitler Senior Member

Finland
    Hi again!

I wonder if anyone could explain to me what the difference between the two rods above is. I'm translating a fishing program in which two men are competing against each other on a lake. The other one decides to take (out of some limited gear available) a coarse fishing rod while the other thinks that he can do with his old fly fishing rod.

Thanks in advance!

2. tepatria Senior Member

Onondaga, Ontario
    Canadian English
    I believe the coarse fishing rod is more rigid in structure. Fly fishing rods bend to give the line more momentum when casting. I'm not a fisher, but I do watch television.:)

3. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I suspect tepatria is right, but it might be worth bearing in mind that you can coarse fish with a fly fishing rod. "Coarse" fishing is fresh-water fishing for any fish other than salmon and trout (these are "game" fish). So coarse and fly fishing are not mutually exclusive, but in general, a "coarse fishing rod" and a "fly fishing rod" would be different.

4. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    The big point is that a fly rod has to be balanced for the line and reel that you choose. A fly line is quite heavy so that it can go forward and back as you false cast, and the rod is a precision tool whose flexibility - different people like different degrees of flexibility for casting - is an integral part of the overall design.

A coarse fishing rod is usually adapted for such things as spinning and worming, and is usually more rigid and shorter than a fly rod. The cast involves a simple swing and the line is lighter and usually monofilament, I suspect.

I haven't fished much for five years and tackle develops all the time, but from what I see of fishing programs on the television the points I make above remain largely true.

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    "Coarse fishing rod" appears to be a BE term. At least, I haven't heard it in the U.S. (after many years of fishing).

6. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    I perhaps should have made plain, then, that in BE we distinguish between game fishing, (for salmon and trout) and coarse fishing (for all other fish - pike, bream, roach, perch, dace etc.). There is nothing coarse about a coarse fishing rod; it's just a rod which is appropriate for coarse fishing - where all methods are usually allowed - a lot of game fisheries only allow fly fishing.

Do you make this distinction in AE too, sdg?

7. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    In the U.S. we talk about fly fishing, trolling, jigging, bait casting, spinning, fresh-water fishing, salt-water fishing, big-game fishing, bass fishing, lake fishing, stream fishing, salmon fishing, etc. - but as far as I know we don't make the distinction in the manner you describe.

We do have the term "rough fish," which is a fish that is not sought after for either sport or food.

8. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    The term "coarse fishing" is used in the UK and Ireland, principally, to describe fresh-water fishing that is not "game" (the distinctions have already been described).

9. subtitler Senior Member

Finland
    Thanks for all the replies! It's just funny that in this context they are trying to catch trout and I'm still not sure what to call the coarse fishing rod... Funnily enough, though, the one who chooses the coarse fishing rod does not get any fish, whereas the other fellow gets a brown trout with his fly fishing rod.

Just to make things clear, coarse fishing does not have anything to do with the reel, does it? And it couldn't be the same as sport fishing? How about angling, could it be the same thing?

10. Thomas Tompion Senior Member

Southern England
    English - England
    Here's something for you about reels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fishing_reel

Coarse fishing often uses different reels to game fishing with a fly. Fly reels are very simple. Coarse fishing is fishing for coarse fish: it has nothing to do with the methods used, per se.