cobbled alley of raw brick seafront depots

< Previous | Next >

AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
Hello,

In the text below, does 'cobbled alley of raw brick seafront depots' mean a cobbled alley whose walls were made of brick, in which there were seafront depots? :confused:

We turned again onto a cobbled alley of raw brick seafront depots, each of which had been gutted and refitted to accommodate a corporate office.

All Over Ireland

Last edited:
  • JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Yes. They are brick building where the bricks are not covered with any other material and they are depots (or warehouses) on the seafront (or more likely facing the San Francisco Bay but the author had not aimed for such precision :) (Your link is to your local copy of the pdf :))

Last edited:

AidaGlass

Persian-Iran
    Yes. They are brick building where the bricks are not covered with any other material and they are depots (or warehouses) on the seafront (or more liely facing the San Francisco Bay but the author hads not aimed for such precision :) (Your link is to your local copy of the pdf :))
    Oh sorry. I revised the link. Thanks a lot :thumbsup:

much_rice

English - American
    [Cobbled alley] of [raw brick seafront depots]

It's not "a cobbled alley of raw brick." The alley (floor) is made of cobblestones. The depots are made of brick as Julian explains. I've never seen "raw brick" (which sounds like a synonym of clay :p) but I have heard of "exposed brick."

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    We turned again onto a cobbled alley of raw brick seafront depots, each of which had been gutted and refitted to accommodate a corporate office.
    Here's an example of an old brick warehouse that has been converted on or near the SF waterfront, and another. Many old brick buildings have been "repurposed" since containers displaced normal import/export warehouse functions. Some of the streets are still cobbled .

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >