Cock-blocking

takashimiike

italian
Buongiorno.

Un uomo e una donna vengono interrotti per la seconda volta da una telefonata (sempre della stessa persona) un istante prima che comincino a fare sesso.

La donna: "He seems determined to keep interrupting us."

L'uomo (pensando): More like :warning: cock-blocking.

Il significato del verbo :warning:cock-block è chiaro (impedire a qualcuno di fare sesso), ma come renderlo in italiano?

"Sembra intenzionato a continuare a interromperci".
A interrompere il coito, per la precisione...?!

• takashimiike

italian
    Quante belle proposte :D Mi piacciono molto entrambe!

Io stavo pensando a qualcosa tipo "dissuasore sessuale", ma ovviamente si tratta di un'espressione troppo elegante rispetto all'originale... Il problema è che non mi vengono in mente "sinonimi" più grevi... Chessò, un tarpac....i (per sfruttare l'idea di Mary49), qualcosa del genere

MR1492

English -USA
    In this case, they are using the term :warning: cock-blocking to mean interrupting their sexual encounter. However, it is more often used in social settings (at a bar or party) where a woman will use a male friend or colleague to "block" the advances of other males. I think they have taken the more common social setting use of this phrase and expanded it in this case.

Phil

rrose17

Canada, English
    Also, and this could be purely personal but the term doesn't sound all that vulgar or rude. Urban Dictionary aside... I guess because the word cock can mean rooster as in "cock-fighting" or "cock of the walk" or used a lot as in the very common British term "cock-up" it doesn't always need the :warning: sign.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    In this case, they are using the term :warning: cock-blocking to mean interrupting their sexual encounter. However, it is more often used in social settings (at a bar or party) where a woman will use a male friend or colleague to "block" the advances of other males. I think they have taken the more common social setting use of this phrase and expanded it in this case.
    No doubt there are various (regional?) differences in how the phrase is used, but to me it refers to the efforts of one individual, usually male, to prevent another man from having sex with a particular woman, whether out of spite, or for a joke, or because he sees him as a rival. I've never heard of a woman bringing in a designated "cock-blocker" -- the situation, yes, but not associated with this particular term.

I see the humour in the OP as stemming from the fact that cock-blocking :)warning: most definitely the vulgar use of cock, to my ear :D -- wait, that sounds bad....) is normally a deliberate act, whereas presumably the inopportune caller can't possibly know that the call recipient is trying to have sex.

Benzene

Banned
    Italian from Italy
    I suggest: "ecco il terzo incomodo", che blocca il gallo", so I avoid the word :warning: "cazzo":warning:. Hence, it can play with the double meaning of cock.

Italian way of saying "essere il terzo incomodo" means "to be a bit in the way, said of those who disturb other two people who would prefer to be alone, especially if it is a couple in love".

Bye,
    Benzene

takashimiike

italian
    Vi ringrazio tutti, ma alla fine credo che userò il suggerimento di symposium ("Più che a altro a farmelo ammosciare"), perché ben si intona col personaggio abbastanza greve che pronuncia la frase.

MR1492

English -USA
    I've never heard of a woman bringing in a designated "cock-blocker" -- the situation, yes, but not associated with this particular term.
    Well, @theartichoke, you're talking to one right now! :) A former, female co-worker who traveled to our office from out of town at times asked me to accompany her to dinner while traveling. One evening she said it was a relaxing evening and thanked me for being her ":warning: cock-blocker" for the evening. I didn't know the phrase at the time and she responded that she would often ask trusted male friends to join her at dinner to keep unwanted guys from hitting on her at the restaurants.

I guess I had been out of the dating pool for a long, long time and I was unaware of the term. She said that she and quite a few of her female colleagues (both married and single) employed the same strategy.

Phil

theartichoke

English - Canada
    One evening she said it was a relaxing evening and thanked me for being her ":warning: cock-blocker" for the evening. I didn't know the phrase at the time and she responded that she would often ask trusted male friends to join her at dinner to keep unwanted guys from hitting on her at the restaurants.
    Well, it's as good a use of the term as any, just one unfamiliar to me -- as I said, I know about such strategies, but would not have called them by this term. :D It's usually the cock-blocker:warning: who's acting deliberately, to the obliviousness of the "target" as well as the annoyance of the "block-ee." But if the target is taking matters into her own hands, more power to her.

< Previous | Next >