cod-metal ruminations

< Previous | Next >

Asub

Italian
Ciao,
is there anyone who could help me to get the sense of this sentence?

Bare-chested or satin-shirted, they bulge out of their pants and cod-metal ruminations: "We've got armadillos in our trusers, it's really quite frightening".

The text is about a heavy metal band documentary. In particular, I need some help with the words in bold. I think that in Italian I would say "con dei rigonfiamenti nei pantaloni" or something like that, but what about the "cod-metal ruminations"? :confused:

• Tonza

English - U.S.
    I'm curious to know which band the documentary is about. From the sentence you supplied, cod-metal at first sounded like a subgenre of metal to me, but Googling around the only instance in which I found the term was specifically the song "Cod Metal King" by Strapping Young Lad. At any rate, I am sure the use of "cod" refers to a codpiece, "a covering flap or pouch that attaches to the front of the crotch of men's trousers and usually accentuates the genital area" (Wikipedia). Maybe cod-metal means metal music in which the performers wear codpieces; maybe it literally means the metal from which a codpiece is made. I have found the Italian term brachetta for codpiece.

Asub

Italian
    Thaks Tonza. Actually it is a mockumentary about a fake heavy metal band. The title is This Is Spinal Tap directed by Rob Reiner. I'm quite sure cod-metal refers to a codpiece, as you say, but I still don't get the sense of it with "ruminations". :confused: I think I will just say that they used to wear codpieces (and then their sentence: "We've got armadillos...."). If anyone has a better idea, I'll thank you. ;)

Tonza

English - U.S.
    I knew that line sounded familiar! What a great movie. I think "ruminations" is like contemplazioni, riflessioni, rimuginazioni...that is, musings they come up with associated with their codpieces and their music.

GavinW

British English
    No, nothing to do with codpieces. Cod is an adjective which means "fake", "bogus" (posticcio). "Cod metal" is thus a reference to fake or mock (cf mockumentary) ruminations on heavy metal.
    You don't have to have seen the film This Is Spinal Tap, but it helps...

Tonza

English - U.S.
    Sorry, although I've seen it many times I don't have it memorized yet. I misunderstood and thought that the text was from the mockumentary, not about the mockumentary.

< Previous | Next >