Cod Russian accent

pepone

ARGENTINA
Hi I just want to know what's the difference between Russian accent and cod Russian accent .

If anybody know, please help me out.

Thanks.

If someone want to know the context here it is, is talking about Matt Damon and his role:

The test will be seeing how he copes with the title role in Anthony Minghella's film of The Talented Mr Ripley, a genuinely difficult character of confused drives and longings. Then again, he deserves an Oscar here for keeping a straight face opposite John Malkovich, whose cod-Russian accent would have made a cat laugh. Must we maintain the ridiculous conspiracy that this man can act?

Last edited:
  • Trisia

Romanian
    Dimcl was right to ask for context -- this does look strange :D Thank you for providing it. :) Please, whenever the text is available online (legally, of course), do provide a link to it. I found it in an article from The Independent, here.

According to the WordReference dictionary, "cod" as a verb can mean harrass/tease or fool, hoax. Could it then be possible that the writer meant something like "mock-Russian accent"?

Trisia

Romanian
    Not so fast. :D

Given the next line, which looks to me like heavy criticism, it could be that the writer meant "fake," not as in "mock" but as in "annoyingly silly and badly-sounding."

Better wait for more opinions.

ewie

English English
    "annoyingly silly and badly-sounding."
    I'd say that's a pretty perfect definition of cod as an adjective relating to accents, Trish:)
    It doesn't strike me (native BE-speaker) as at all unusual ... maybe not very common a term, but unremarkable:)

I'd feel free to extend it to language in general: for example, I (personally) speak cod-German ~ which is to say, I don't really speak German at all, but I can make a good attempt at pretending to speak German ... to someone who didn't know any German it might well sound like German ... but to a native German-speaker it would sound like ... well, it would sound like a cod speaking German:D

Loob

English UK
    I agree with ewie.

Here's the OED on the subject, including a couple of the OED's citations:
    [cod - noun5] 2. A joke; a hoax, leg-pull; a parody, a ‘take-off’.[...] Also attrib. or quasi-adj., parodying, burlesque; ‘mock’.
    [...]
    1961 B. WELLS Day Earth caught Fire ii. 31 Pete picked up the empty tea mug and again used it as a cod mike. [...] 1962 Listener 5 July 36/1 The very idiosyncratic cod cockney of the scenes.

< Previous | Next >