cod (speaking about a song)

marta_sp/cat

Spanish+Catalan, Spain
Hi there!

I would like to know which could be the meaning of "cod". I have to translate it into Spanish.

The context is a man speaking about the song Seaside rendez-vous (by Queen) who says "the song was meant to be cod and it was cod".

I don't know if "cod" is an acronym or if it has an specific meaning as an adjective here.

Thanks very much for your attention.

Marta. :)

• brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    The only definition I know of "cod" is the fish, codfish.

And the only acronym COD I know of is "Cash On Delivery," meaning a package marked "C.O.D." will be paid for (in cash, theoretically) once it is delivered.

I'm not quite sure if that's what's meant here, but it may mean that the song was originally written for "cash on delivery" purposes, as in once the fans heard the song, they'd all run to buy the record, thus paying Queen the cash for delivering a great song. However, they soon realized that the song was just "cash on" (C.O.), meaning they knew before anyone even heard the song that it was money in the bank.

That may be a stretch, but it's all I could come up with.

Brian

marta_sp/cat

Spanish+Catalan, Spain
    brian, thanks for your witty reflexion. In fact, as far as I've read, when they delivered the album Night at the opera they were broke. So your guess may make sense.

Have a nice Sunday!

Marta. :)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    You'll need to pay close attention now, for this looks to me like a many-layered comment. I could be completely wrong.

First, the word cod.
    Indeed, a cod is a fish.
    Cod is the fish of choice in Fish and Chips - often known as Cod and Chips - the epitome of the English seaside holiday.

Cod is also a joke; a hoax, leg-pull; a parody, a ‘take-off’
    Cod may also be a verb - to cod meaning to joke, hoax, etc.

Next, the cadence of the sentence:
    .... meant to be cod and it was cod.
    calls to mind the cadence of verse 3 of the creation story in Genesis 1:
    And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Now, keep the above in mind as you read the lyrics of Seaside Rendezvous, then think about the line
    "the song was meant to be cod and it was cod".

marta_sp/cat

Spanish+Catalan, Spain
    panjandrum said:
    First, the word cod.
    Indeed, a cod is a fish.
    Cod is the fish of choice in Fish and Chips - often known as Cod and Chips - the epitome of the English seaside holiday.

Cod is also a joke; a hoax, leg-pull; a parody, a ‘take-off’
    Cod may also be a verb - to cod meaning to joke, hoax, etc.
    panjandrum, that's a very complete and inspiring answer. Thanks a lot! I did not know "fish/cod and chips" was a cultural reference for "English seaside holiday". I only knew it was a typical English food. And I did not know either about its "joke" meaning. Now is everything clearer!

Thanks again and have a nice and shiny Sunday... And perhaps also a Seaside rendez-vous! ;)

Marta.:)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Fish 'n Chips is certainly quoted as typical English food, but it also has that cultural reference (I love the idea of fish'n'chips being a cultural reference).

Summer evenings walking beside the sea eating fish and chips, smothered in salt and vinegar, out of a soggy old newspaper.

< Previous | Next >