Coentro-Bravo

Please break down this name by each word and then describe the meaning when the two words are taken together. I ask this as it may be the name the U.S.A. government uses to re-denominate the botanic name: eryngium foetidum L.

• patriota

pt-BR
    I think that Mark_in_Hollywood just got confused because he never realized that he had typed "cuento" in first place. Likely, "coentro" was automatically autocorrected to that Spanish word by a spelling checker on his computer, and afterwards, a moderator corrected it to the actual Portuguese word.

Anyway, as everyone can see in my Wikipedia link and in his own United States of America government link, there are several different vernacular names for that plant in English already, which makes translating the Portuguese name literally just a pointless exercise of creativity. Yet, that has also already been done by us. Read Carfer's post more carefully.

Last edited:

Guigo

Português (Brasil)
    As long as I understood "coentro-bravo" will be the name to be used by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and other U.S. agencies. Am I right?

I see no problem with it considering the dozens of Portuguese names (EP+BP) related to the Nature, plants & animals, adopted in English and many other languages, some are also the so-called 'universal' words: jaguar, coatimundi, jacaranda, cuandu, piranha, alcatraz, etc.

patriota

pt-BR
    As long as I understood "coentro-bravo" will be the name to be used by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and other U.S. agencies. Am I right?

I see no problem with it considering the dozens of Portuguese names (EP+BP) related to the Nature, plants & animals, adopted in English and many other languages, some are also the so-called 'universal' words: jaguar, coatimundi, jacaranda, cuandu, piranha, alcatraz, etc.
    Seus exemplos são todos indígenas, para os quais não havia palavra inglesa, tirando o nome de Alcatraz, que chegou aos EUA devido à presença espanhola.

Porém, aquela página meramente menciona o nome português entre muitos outros nomes comuns, em diferentes línguas, inclusive o inglês. Como a planta até já foi introduzida no território dos EUA (veja o mapa) e também é muito conhecida pela comunidade falante de castelhano e associada a ela, não haveria sentido em adotarem um nome português. O Ministério da Agricultura dos EUA usa "spiritweed": Plants Profile for Eryngium foetidum (spiritweed)

< Previous | Next >