coerce

< Previous | Next >

WritingAPuppy

canada mandarin
Hi. I encoutered the word coerce/coercive in the following context: "But if they are discouraging people from having consensual relationships either by legal or coercive means, then yes, they are eliminating civil liberties.".

What does this "coercive means" refer to? The reason I ask is because coercive means compelling, and legal means are already compelling, therefore I am confused as to what actions this coercive means refers to. Can someone give me some real-life example to help me understand it better?

Thanks.

• bloomiegirl

US English
    How about this: If "they are discouraging people from having consensual relationships," that in itself doesn't sound like it impinges on civil liberties, but if legal means (i.e., laws that constrain consensual relationships) or forceful means are used, then that may cross the line to the point where it constrains civil liberties.

Joelline

American English
    Hi WritingAPuppy,

To coerce means to compel someone to do something by threats, force, intimidation, etc. Suppose you work for me and I want you to work overtime next Friday. You have excellent reasons for refusing to do so. I am a bully and so I will suggest that if you don't work overtime, you will lose your job! I am attempting to coerce you into doing what I want. I am using coercive means to get you do what I want you to do.

Hope this helps,
    Joelline

< Previous | Next >