1. Asagiholic New Member

Spanish - Ecuador
    HI :D I wanted to know if it is correct to say: Coffee and Foods. This was actually the name of a place in Japan.. and I wanted to know if it is correct to use 'foods' instead of 'food'... well that's it :D thank you very much!!!

2. galesa Senior Member

mallorca
    english wales
    Hi,
    Welcome to the forum, Coffee and Foods is not correct. Food does not have a plural.
    Saludos

3. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Welcome, Asagiholic! :)
    Yo diría que sí es correcto usar "foods", en el sentido de alimentos de una serie de distintos tipos.

4. galesa Senior Member

mallorca
    english wales
    Hello aztlaniano, sorry but I don't agree, food is uncountable , if you wanted to use the plural you would have to use:
    foodstuffs~sustantivo plural
    productos mpl alimenticios
    At least I have never heard it, maybe that's just British
    Saludos

5. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

And I disagree with you both - though I'm sure I'll regret it. ;)

I don't think that the plural of food is correct in this particular sentence. However, despite many grammar books saying otherwise, I think that there are occasions where the plural is acceptable in modern English!

Help - I have a feeling that I am about to be shot at from two directions at once. :eek:

6. galesa Senior Member

mallorca
    english wales
    No shooting, I don't believe in violence, it's not that I disagree, I just can't think of one instance where it is used can you give an example
    Regards
    Galesa :)

7. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    It may amount to shorthand for "foodstuffs" or "food groups". I'll check the dictionary.
    "Coffee" is not really countable either, but if the sign said "coffees" (or "teas") I would simply assume that many varieties were offered.

Webster's gives it a plural form, although, of course, it is an American dictionary (Note this example - longing for the foods of her homeland> -- ):
    food
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): -s
    Usage: often attributive
    Etymology: Middle English
    1 a : material consisting of carbohydrates, fats, proteins, and supplementary substances (as minerals, vitamins) that is taken or absorbed into the body of an animal in order to sustain growth, repair, and all vital processes and to furnish energy for all activity of the organism <any population is limited by the available supply of food>; especially : parts of the bodies of animals and plants consumed by animals : PROVENDER, PROVISIONS, VIANDS <acres devoted to growing food> <longing for the foods of her homeland> -- compare METABOLISM, NUTRITION b : simple inorganic substances that are absorbed by plants in gaseous form (as carbon dioxide) or in solution in water (as nitrates, phosphates) : plant nutrients c : complex organic substances constructed within the bodies of green plants by photosynthesis or other processes for use directly as building material and as source of energy for growth and reproduction
    2 a : nutriment in solid form -- opposed to drink b : the chief substance of regularly taken meals as distinguished from candy, appetizers, or condiments
    3 a : something that nourishes or develops <spiritual food> <intellectual food> or sustains <praise was her favorite food -- Eden Phillpotts> b : something that supplies a process or activity <food for thought>
    4 obsolete : the act of eating
    5 foods plural : stocks or bonds of food companies

Citation format for this entry:
    "food." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com ( 12 Feb. 2010).

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  8. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

9. galesa Senior Member

mallorca
    english wales
    Ok, you win..............it is used, but you do agree that it is wrong in original phrase??? and I still think it's short for foodstuff :)

10. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

Yes, I think it sounds wrong in the original sentence, but don't ask me to explain my logic there! Actually, yes, I think I can explain it - the singular word works perfectly well in that phrase. A plural is overkill!

I also think that you are almost certainly right about 'foods' being short for foodstuffs - originally. However, my own feeling is that the word 'foodstuffs' is teetering on the brink of extinction, and 'foods' has taken over from it. The other alternative, 'types of food', is too long winded to lend itself to use in everyday language.

However, until the grammar books are re-written, I would advise anyone studying for English exams to treat my words with a great deal of caution! :)

11. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    I don't know if it's correct or not, but a shop selling "foods" sounds more attractive to me than one that advertises "food".
    I've just realised that the OP describes it as "a place", which could be either a shop or a café/restaurant. If it's a shop, then I suppose "foodstuffs" might be the correct form, but, again, "foods" sounds more enticing. If it's a café, just singular, uncountable "food", as galesa said in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  12. galesa Senior Member

mallorca
    english wales
    It's Ok aztlaniano, you are allowed to disagree, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I have been out of the English speaking world for a while, so it may be used now, I still don't like it though, but that's just my opinion.:)

13. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

Out of curiosity, I've just been onto Tesco's website. Even they have a section labeled 'health foods'.

Ok, now I promise I won't say any more on this subject. ;)

14. The Prof

The Prof Senior Member

When I said no more, what I really meant was, er, not much more!

I've just had a look in my New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, and found this:

food chemistry the branch of science that deals with the chemical constitution of foods;

15. derdavale Member

Costa Rica
    Spanish-Costa Rica-English
    I always thought that foods is correct, at least in the USA I have always heard it.

16. Asagiholic New Member

Spanish - Ecuador
    omg thank you everybody for answering my question...!! i was really curious about it...!! thank you thank you!