Cognitive noise

< Previous | Next >

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
Hello dear forumers,

A study claims emotionality is a better base for making consumer choices (choosing some product over some other), and that it leads to less cognitive noice? Anybody familiar with this type of economics jargon? Any idea of what it's supposed to mean? :confused:

• jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    Well, actually, cognitive is not the problem; it's noise I don't get here (or the two in combination). I thought it might be something similar to noise in digital imaging, but even so I fail to see quite what cognitive noise could mean. For clarity I could mention the study touts the concept of preference consistency, another one that beats me. Is a lack of that something like being less than fully clear about what one wants? And what would that mean, on a general level?

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Could this be related to cognitive dissonance?
    Maybe. It may also be related to the "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit" school of marketing psycho-babble. Perhaps it intends to tell the reader that customers get confused by choices such as red or blue or green, so you should just appeal to those old marketing purchase decision standbys: greed, fear, and ego.

Wilma_Sweden

Swedish (Scania)
    Well, actually, cognitive is not the problem; it's noise I don't get here (or the two in combination). I thought it might be something similar to noise in digital imaging, but even so I fail to see quite what cognitive noise could mean. For clarity I could mention the study touts the concept of preference consistency, another one that beats me. Is a lack of that something like being less than fully clear about what one wants? And what would that mean, on a general level?
    I think what they mean is that cognitive noise is understood as more or less relevant thought processes that get in the way of the decision-making process or slows it down. If you're buying a car and base your purchasing decision on its technical data, fuel consumption or CO2 emissions, you're more likely than not to get confused than if you base your decision on emotional factors such as the colour, shape or any emotional attachment you might have to that particular car.

If you have preference consistency, it means that the consumer consistently prefers a certain type of product, and they seem to suggest that there is more consistency when decisions are based on emotional factors rather than intellectual ones.

/Wilma

P.S. I think it's called kognitivt brus in Swedish...

jonquiliser

Svediż tal-Finlandja
    Thank you Biblio, Cuchu and Wilma - this definitely clarifies it. At least linguistically - philosophically, I tend to agree with Cuchu, the general spirit of the study seems to be pure marketing psycho-babble... Even so, I take it they are trying to get at something, no matter how muddled those ideas.

Wilma, googling for the Swedish terms gave me many more explanations than the English one, very useful!

popckorn

Spanish - Mexican
    It is certainly NOT psycho-babble, these terms are part of the body of psychology and sociology, which are humanities sciences. Whether "hard" sciences or not, their subjects ARE serious, unlike snake oil sellers who will parrot all kinds of sound bites from different disciplines to appear knowledgable by the use of "blinding with science" or more preciselly "blinding with pseudo-science".

Psycho-babble would be the psychological equivalent of those "rejuvaneting" creams they sell with "deep dna action". They used to market those in Mexico and toss a bunch of generic genetic terms (genetic-babble) with ego appealing aspirational pipe dreams and churn them all together in a nonsensical eye catching add.

Psycho-babble would be the stuff you hear from a "spiritual-guide/tarot-reader/new-age/verbose/pot-head" who takes scientific and pseudo-scientific terms form different unrelated sources and mash them all together into a concoction to baffle you into sleeping with him because not doing so is a "typical taurus-anima narcissitic post-trahumatic solipsist post-modernist Elektra-complex egoistic love-blocking non-cool bad-energy behaviour".. which he can cure with a rub and quartz crystals.

Cognitive noise is real, documented, and related to cognitive dissonance. Marketing studies in deepth how a second is priceless when making a sell, specially when competeing against a whole array of options. Emotional influence is the most important factor, due to the fact that more than 8 options create a sense of de-orientation in the buyer, and in the hope to gain perspective the buyer might start assessing hard facts and usefulness rather than just going for an impulsive buy.

To achieve an impulsive buy you want the target market to shut its rational brain, which creates all sorts of assessments that, in turn, might create NOISE and interfere with the buy. Basically the noise is the body of overlapping and conflicting considerations that get in the way of your RESOLUTION and DETERMINATION, the noise is DOUBT, SECOND THOUGHT, SUSPICION.

The text explains the importance of creating emotional bonds with the target market, creating in them an emotional response to ignite at the moment they are confronted with a decision making situation in which the product is present.

That is why you see a toothpaste product in TV basically implying you will have a beautiful girlfriend kissing you in the morning if you buy that paste, which is emotional binding for most humans. At the time you expose yourself to different buy options, that particular brand will remind you of that emotion/aspiration and you will symbollically acquire (buy$) the emotion/idea they sow into you. Most products are fetishes, objects with simbolical value, and we acquire them to quench an emotional need or aspiration.

If instead of "stacking your odds" of getting a girl to kiss you in the morning by buying that toothpaste, you start considering all the chemicals in it, and what those chemicals can do to your body, then you generate COGNITIVE NOISE, getting on the way of your determination to acquire said product. Cognitive noise will most likely arise each time you are about to buy stuff you dont need or is harmful for you IF, and only IF you use your rational brain to assess the actual value of those products in your life.

Emotionality is the way to go when luring markets into buying stuff. (most stuff is NOT necessary, and we know it, which creates noise when our rational brain tell us to save money, to buy essentials, to invest, or pay debts).

Take for example a law to further take away your rights to privacy in the name of security. Rationally no one should accept it, we understand and like our privacy, but then they come with a whole public relations stunt about a little girl who got murdered, a murder that could have been avoided had the killer been under surveillance 24/7 without a warrant. The public will feel sympathy for the girl and her family and toss their rational thinking (and cognitive noise) away when deciding, driven by emotion, to vote in favour of said unconstitutional law.

Preference consistency would be the reason why everytime someone says "BUT THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!" people will follow blindly whatever the spokesperson is trying to achieve. We are emotionally bind to our children and we will buy whatever that spokesperson stamps our children's name on.

Hope I helped. I am a Communication Sciences graduate with university knowledge on Sociology, Psychology and specialized in Advertisement.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >