coherence/consistency

< Previous | Next >

liulia

English/French
Hello everyone!

Would you say that you evaluate the internal "coherence" or the internal "consistency" of a programme?
The French text I'm translating says "cohérence".

My own preference is for "consistency" but today I'm finding "coherence" in all sorts of English documents, and I'm suddenly not so sure!

What do you all think?

• Kelly B

USA English
    Can you clarify what it means to you in English? To me, consistency would refer to similar styles, for example, but coherence would refer to how smoothly the parts function together, the flow of the logic.

liulia

English/French
    I don't think they're concerned about style; more about whether there are contradictions , whether "the parts function together" as you put it, Kelly . That's for "cohérence interne".

The "cohérence externe" is in various phases, in relation to various external guidelines and orientations; it's almost "compliance" but not quite.

Maybe the first is coherence and the second consistency? But I would prefer to use the same term, as they have done in French, if it's possible. And i think it is, don't you? they're not really that different, are they?

Emma Neve

Italian
    In Italian I would use pretty much the same expression, that is "coerenza interna".

I have always found (hence always adopted) the following translation: "coherence" or "logical coherence".

From Literature and Culture from the English-Speaking World, Balboni, Bondi, Coonan, p. 16:

"Cohesion itself is not sufficient to ensure textuality. Not all relations are made explicit in a text, but it should always be possible to work out the network of concepts and relations which underline the text. We can call this the [logical] coherence of a text."

Hope that might be useful

Bye, Emma :)

< Previous | Next >