coherence or cohesion?

< Previous | Next >

Moonchild.F

persian
Hello, hope you all be fine:)This is my first question in Word Refrence.

What is the difference between Cohesion and Coherence?

In Longman dictionary They are nearly the same .

• Moonchild.F

persian
    Welcome to the forum, Moonchild. Have you got a couple of sample sentences with the words in?
    Well, not exactly, but I've heard that in IELTS writings the coherence and cohesion both must be observed. That's why i asked about the difference .

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
    Well, not exactly, but I've heard that in IELTS writings the coherence and cohesion both must be observed. That's why i asked about the difference .
    The way I see it, cohesion is the act of working cohesively as a group. Being effective by being semi-reliant on one another.
    Coherence is when things are logical and make sense I guess.

rhitagawr

British English
    Coherence has more to do with making sense. He spoke coherently - his words were clear and made sense.
    Cohesion has more to do with sticking together. There's not much group cohesion - the group doesn't act as a unit. These tyres give good cohesion - they help the car stay on the road without it skidding.
    It looks as though Shweggeh and I agree with each other.

Moonchild.F

persian
    Coherence has more to do with making sense. He spoke coherently - his words were clear and made sense.
    Cohesion has more to do with sticking together. There's not much group cohesion - the group doesn't act as a unit. These tyres give good cohesion - they help the car stay on the road without it skidding.
    It looks as though Shweggeh and I agree with each other.
    Thank you so much, I got the answer .:):thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >