coherence with or coherence to?

< Previous | Next >

blomst

Norway, Norwegian
Hello,
is it correct to say 'There is a lack of coherence to the rest of the paragtraph' or shoudl it be 'There is a lack of coherence with the rest of the paragtraph'?
Or are both badly put?

• sound shift

English - England
    They mean different things.

'There is a lack of coherence to the rest of the paragraph': There is a lack of coherence in the rest of the paragraph; The rest of the paragraph lacks (internal) coherence.
    'There is a lack of coherence with the rest of the paragraph": The part of the paragraph being described is not coherent with the rest of the paragraph, so that the paragraph is not a coherent whole.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    You can say either, but the meanings are different.

If you are discussing the first sentence, and that sentence doesn't go with the ones that come after it, you could say (with respect to the first sentence) "There is a lack of coherence with the rest of the paragraph." I might prefer "It lacks coherence with ...," but that's a matter of style.

If you like the first sentences, but the ones after that are incoherent, you could say (with respect to those sentences) "There is a lack of coherence to the rest of the paragraph." I might use a different phrasing here too, but yours is correct.

By the way, please note the spelling of "paragraph." There is no "t" in it.

blomst

Norway, Norwegian
    Thank you
    What I want to express is that the paragraph is not a coherent whole. The last part does not really connect to the first part. Have I understood you correctly if I write. ' The latter part of the paragaph lacks coherence with the first part'?

< Previous | Next >