coin[invent, fabricate] vs. adapt, first use, put in use

< Previous | Next >

hhtt

Turkish
"The word integral as a term in the calculus was coined by Jacop Bernoulli (1654-1705), a Swiss mathematician who
corresponded frequently with Leibniz."

Hi, in the above sentence it seems me better to use adapt, first use or put in use than coin i.e invent or fabricate.

Source: Mathematics with Applications.

Lİnk: It is from a hard copy but there is a pdf file containing it but no external web page. http://faculty.mdc.edu/mmontane/integration-4.pdf

Context:It is about mathematics.

Note: If forming of my question is wrong or ridiculous would you like to offer better ones.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • dreamlike

Polish
    "Coin" has nothing to do with "fabricating" here. It just means that it was Jacop Bernoulli who first came up with the word "integral". You may not like the word (to coin), but there's no good reason to change it. It's been widely used in that sense - "to invent a new word" - since time immemorial.

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    I think "suggest" is more common than coin in this situation.
    Unfortunately, you are mistaken. When the meaning is "invent a new word", "coin" is much more common than "suggest", which does not have that meaning at all.

For example, it would be entirely natural to say "The United States Rubber Company coined the term 'Naugahyde' as the name for the artificial leather it developed." It would be very unnatural, however, to use "suggested" in such a sentence in place of "coined".

< Previous | Next >