coin wrappers

NickJunior

Khmer
Hi Forum,
I heard people saying to the bank teller as follow: "I'd like to withdraw $100 in 5's, 10's, 20's, and 50's denominations."
So if I want some free coin wrappers from the bank teller for my loose coins of various values, can I say this:
I want some coin wrappers for all the denominations?( I mean to say for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.)
Thanks in advance for your help.

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    You would be better off being specific, saying "I need some coin wrappers for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters, please."

Matching Mole

England, English
    I've seen coins in rolls, but aren't these machine wrapped? In Britain change is kept in clear plastic bags which are "sealed" by turning a flap inside out. I don't know if they have a special name; I call them change bags. Banks will issue these on request.

Loob

English UK
    I'm sorry, GWB, I'm still a bit confused.

Am I right that 'coin wrappers' are the paper tubes in which small coins are wrapped to represent larger amounts (eg 10p coins to make £1, dimes to make a dollar?)

And thinking back to the OP - would one, in a US bank, ask for 'coin wrappers'?

Qaz_

American English
    Hi Forum,
    I heard people saying to the bank teller as follow: "I'd like to withdraw $100 in 5's, 10's, 20's, and 50's denominations."
    So if I want some free coin wrappers from the bank teller for my loose coins of various values, can I say this:
    I want some coin wrappers for all the denominations?( I mean to say for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.)
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    I think your sentence is fine. Although denominations is most usually heard in association with bills, e.g., "I would like 500 dollars in small denominations" it can also be applied to coins and even postage stamps.

Loob

English UK
    Ah, interesting:)
    I think "I want some coin wrappers for all the denominations" would be calculated to confuse in BrE...

Æsop

Banned
    English--American (upstate NY)
    I'm sorry, GWB, I'm still a bit confused.

Am I right that 'coin wrappers' are the paper tubes in which small coins are wrapped to represent larger amounts (eg 10p coins to make £1, dimes to make a dollar?)

And thinking back to the OP - would one, in a US bank, ask for 'coin wrappers'?
    Yes and yes.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Hi Forum,
    I heard people saying to the bank teller as follow: "I'd like to withdraw $100 in 1, 5, 10, and 25 cent denominations."
    As others have said, coin wrappers is just fine. I would ask for 'each denomination', or simpler yet 'May I have coin wrappers for pennies, dimes, nickels, and quarters?'

If you ask for more than one or two, then they may ask you to buy your own. The reason is that the wrappers are often struck on the side of a cash/change drawer to quickly pop the roll open, then they are no longer usable. You can usually buy them at large discount and office supply stores.

< Previous | Next >