coincée au premier palier

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by whackerican, Apr 27, 2013.

1. whackerican Senior Member

American English
    I'm unable to decide between two competing translations for this phrase appearing here in the following sentence,

"C'est bien connu, il arrive à la plupart des femmes de faire croire à leur partenaire qu'elles ont atteint le septième ciel alors qu'elles étaient en réalité toujours coincée au premier pallier."

My first guess is "trapped into taking a stop-gap measure"; the second is the americanism "stuck at first base".

The better choice seems to me to turn on whether the word pallier is spelled correctly, or a misspelling of palier.

Is there a francophone on the forum that could clarify the intended meaning of this phrase?

Merci à l'avance.

2. Itisi

Itisi Senior Member

Paris/Hastings UK
    English UK/French
    stuck on the first (floor) landing (if it's meant to be funny)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  3. Kajeetah

Kajeetah Senior Member

Belgium
    French - France
    It is a misspelling, it should be palier. They are a long way away from "septième ciel"
    As for the translation, it depends on how you translate "septième ciel"...

4. janpol

janpol Senior Member

France
    France - français
    7è ciel > orgasm
    premier palier > first floor
    The word "coincé" is very important too because it has two meanings : stuck (here in the lift which goes up to the "septième ciel") and not liberated (about sex)

5. Martyn94 Banned

English
    The great importance of coincée has rather passed me by. I would have thought that you can get an excellent match to the tone of the original (however funny it is or is not meant to be) simply by doing it absolutely literally: "stuck on the first landing"' and "in seventh heaven". That makes perfect sense to me.

6. Itisi

Itisi Senior Member

Paris/Hastings UK
    English UK/French
    It seems I concur with Martyn, I believe 'coincée' can be taken here 'au premier degré' (but not 'au premier palier'!;)) - no double meaning.

7. janpol

janpol Senior Member

France
    France - français
    L'auteur de la phrase aurait pu dire "bloquée", "en panne", "arrêtée", on n'aurait alors pas pu parler de polysémie, de second degré mais on ne dit pas "cette femme est bloquée / arrêtée etc", par contre on dit "X est coincée". Le choix de ce mot, ici, ne me semble pas être dû au hasard.

8. Uncle Bob Senior Member

Hungary
    British English
    Perhaps the rest of the text will decide: is it the woman's fault or the man's (if fault is assigned)?

9. Martyn94 Banned

English
    I was just about to make the same point: the context does not indicate that the woman is repressed. Perhaps the contrary: she is liberated (and considerate) enough to feign orgasm when her partner's lovemaking is inadequate?

And this is the experience of the majority of women: it would be disappointing if they were all "coincée" in the second degree.

10. janpol

janpol Senior Member

France
    France - français
    is it the woman's fault or the man's (if fault is assigned)? (Uncle Bob)
    La notion de faute était totalement absente de mon propos mais, s'il y a faute, il me semlble que c'est plutôt l'éducation reçue qui est en cause.

11. Itisi

Itisi Senior Member

Paris/Hastings UK
    English UK/French
    Another possibility for 'premier palier': first rung (of the ladder to heaven:rolleyes:)