cold call

< Previous | Next >
Hi everyone!

I´m trying to translate the following: cold calls.

I found on Internet:

即直銷電話

However the above doesn´t entirely depict what a cold call is.

A cold call is aimed at selling indeed (銷), especially if you are a calling centre or a Company which Business model is based on phone-sales.

However, other companies (the large majority) will use cold calls to penetrate a market, contact completely new clients. The Goal here will not be to sell on the phone, but to plan a meeting. After the meeting, some Business can occur of course, but it is not depending on a phone call anymore, but on the meeting, the Need of the customer and the skills of the salesman, usefullness and quality of the product/service, etc.

That´s why I wonder if: 即直銷電話 is the best match to cold call, a Business term which I find very Western, as I can´t find a clear translation in Chinese (except on Hong Kong-based Websites). Even my Chinese friend (from Mainland) couldn´t help me further.

I´m open to any suggestions here, guys. :)

Many thanks, :thumbsup:
Cheers! ;)

• SuperXW

However, other companies (the large majority) will use cold calls to penetrate a market, contact completely new clients. The Goal here will not be to sell on the phone, but to plan a meeting. After the meeting, some Business can occur of course, but it is not depending on a phone call anymore, but on the meeting, the Need of the customer and the skills of the salesman, usefullness and quality of the product/service, etc.
    We don't have any specific term which is perfectly equivalent to "cold call".
    直销 means direct selling. If you are looking for broader terms other than 直销电话, you can consider 促销电话, 推广电话, 销售电话.
    促销 means 促进销售, for example, you are offering a discount to the customer.
    推广 means promotion, for example, you are telling the customer to try a free session in your business. The customer doesn't have to buy anything directly.
    促销, 推广 are more or less the same.
    销售 is the most generic term. As long as the final goal of your phone contact is "to sell", it can be considered a 销售电话.

Last edited:

SuperXW

What about then: 即直電話, without , as the main goal is to get a face-to-face Meeting, and AFTER that, make Business?
    Would that be a good attempt to approach oneself to the Western wording: cold-call?
    即直電話 or 直電話 does not make sense in Chinese.
    You might be mistaken about 即. 即 was never a part of the word.
    即: that is, which is
    直: direct, straight
    銷: sell
    電話: phone, phone-call
    直銷電話 "that is direct-selling phone-call".

If someone want to make business with a stranger, I would consider it a 銷售電話(selling call) anyway. A meeting is clearly not the real goal.
    More options: 業務推廣電話 or simply 業務電話
    業務 refers to "business". Comparing to its synonyms, 業務 is more about "what we do" rather than "how we make deals", so it does not sound "money-driven".

Last edited:

cheer.nat

Chinese / Cantones
    There is a word "陌拜电话" generally used in China (Mainland)

"陌" refers to "陌生人“ -- strangers
    "拜“ refers to ”拜访“ --- here means visit someone (not face to face, but by phone)

"陌拜电话” means telephone someone they have never contacted before, without making an appointment, in order to introduce themselves or arrange a visit later.

Hope it could help.

SuperXW

There is a word "陌拜电话" generally used in China (Mainland)

"陌" refers to "陌生人“ -- strangers
    "拜“ refers to ”拜访“ --- here means visit someone (not face to face, but by phone)

"陌拜电话” means telephone someone they have never contacted before, without making an appointment, in order to introduce themselves or arrange a visit later.

Hope it could help.
    Never heard of 陌拜电话 before. Just checked it. It seems a newly created term and supposed to be the equivalent of "cold-call".

< Previous | Next >