cold jokes/deadpan jokes

< Previous | Next >
  • bibliolept

AE, Español
    I would understand a "cold joke" to be a cruel or sadistic one, not one delivered in a deadpan manner.

I suppose there could be literal "cold" jokes, which might be told in places with harsh winters to exaggerate the local temperatures.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, bibliolept and Dimcl.
    I thought you also called it "cold jokes" because most of mormon missionary here know what they refer to. Maybe it's only we and here that call them this way. For instance,
    Person A: Are your refrigerator still running?
    Person B: Yes.
    Person A: Then, hurry and run after it.

For another instance, this is a typical cold joke here.
    Person A: I dropped my passport(In our language, "dropped" also means "lost" in this context). What am I gonna do?
    Person B: Just pick it up.

What do you call this kind of "cold jokes?" Thanks.

Trisia

Romanian
    I don't know - I guess I'd call it dry humour, although I'm not too sure that's what it is.

I really like your examples, QD :D:D

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Thanks, bibliolept and Dimcl.
    I thought you also called it "cold jokes" because most of mormon missionary here know what they refer to. Maybe it's only we and here that call them this way. For instance,
    Person A: Are your refrigerator still running?
    Person B: Yes.
    Person A: Then, hurry and run after it.

For another instance, this is a typical cold joke here.
    Person A: I dropped my passport(In our language, "dropped" also means "lost" in this context). What am I gonna do?
    Person B: Just pick it up.

What do you call this kind of "cold jokes?" Thanks.
    The first one is often a "phone prank," used to fool someone, to "play a joke on someone" rather than to "tell a joke."

The second might be considered cruel humor, since you are making fun of someone who's in trouble.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Thanks, Teddy and JamesM, for reminding me of this thread.
    I think Trisia is right because I have found out that your dry humour is pretty much the same as our cold jokes.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I think Trisia is right because I have found out that your dry humour is pretty much the same as our cold jokes.
    Dear QD,

Please stop translating word-to-word from Chinese to English.......end of rambling :D

JamesM

Dry humor is humor with a subtlety to it. Neither of the examples you provided were subtle; in fact they were extremely broad.

I don't think "dry humor" has much to do with the examples you provided.

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    Dear QD,

Please stop translating word-to-word from Chinese to English.......end of rambling :D
    Yes, it's a great idea.

Dry humor is humor with a subtlety to it. Neither of the examples you provided were subtle; in fact they were extremely broad.

I don't think "dry humor" has much to do with the examples you provided.
    Thanks, JamesM, for your reply.
    I think there is a huge culture gap between us, so I'll follow Nichec's suggestion--end of rambling. Sorry!

< Previous | Next >