colision damage waiver

pumuki2008

spanish
Hola a todos y gracias por leerme.
Necesito traducir al español Colision damage Waiver.
El contexto es un contrato que hacen normalmente las compañías de alquiler de coches. Gracias.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • litiga8or

Rainy Oregon! USA
    So it would be "Waiver of" cobertura de colisión.

Another way of saying it in English is "I don't want (to pay for) collision damage insurance".

rodelu2

Spanish-Uruguay
    My understanding is that the "waiver" part refers not to the insurance policy but to the costs resulting from collision damages; if you accept "collision damage waiver" you are willing to distance yourself from those costs by paying some extra money for the insurance that will cover collision damages.

Last edited:

litiga8or

Rainy Oregon! USA
    My understanding is that the "waiver" part refers not to the insurance policy but to the costs resulting from collision damages; if you accept "collision damage waiver" you are willing to distance yourself from those costs by paying some extra money for the insurance that will cover collision damages.

NO, IT'S THE OPPOSITE.

To WAIVE means to give up, to do without, to not have, to not buy to not not not ... In this case, it means to not buy the insurance.

Car Rental Company: Q: We can sell you collision insurance for $25.00 per day.
    Customer: A: No thank you.
    Company: Q: Then please sign this waiver, here.

The waiver means the customer doesn't want to pay for the collision insurance.

Actually, in the car rental business, the waiver is just extra paperwork. They work hard to sell collision insurance, because they get a lot of profit from it. The customer gets little, if any benefit, from it. They make the customer sign a "waiver" because it makes the insurance seem more important. Actually, they should have the customer sign a Contract is the customer buys the insurance. Since the waiver means no insurance and no contract, there's no reason to sign anything.

rodelu2

Spanish-Uruguay
    I agree with the meaning of "waiver" as you state it.

Not-always-dependable Wikipedia describes Collision Damage Waiver as:

Damage waiver, or as it is often referred to, collision damage waiver (CDW) or loss damage waiver (LDW) is an optional damage coverage available while renting a vehicle. It covers the rental vehicle. Some companies also offer liability insurance and towing coverage.

stcrocefirenze

español castellano, españa
    I gather rodelu is correct.
    When I signed the collision damage waver, I meant I want "no excess", and I did 3 times, at least, in Anglo Saxon countries, in my life, so I pay this kind of insurance to avoid the extra cost of any accident.
    And, in case of doubt, it is easy, you say I want the big insurance, wit NO EXCESS (at least in Australia, they use this "no excess" as synonim for damage collission waiver).
    So, collision damage waver means dispensa de los daños por colisión, ¿está clarito, no?

< Previous | Next >