Colitas

< Previous | Next >
  • Language Hound

American English
    Instead of making us go search for the lyrics, please provide the line where "colitas" appears.
    You can quote up to four lines.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    When you ask about a word, please include the surrounding text.

Here are the first lines of "Hotel California":

On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair
    Warm smell of colitas rising up through the air
    Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
    My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim​

I found the lyrics on Genius Lyrics, which is a good place to go when you have questions about a song; Eagles – Hotel California Lyrics | Genius Lyrics
    Many of the people who post commentary seem knowledgable. This is the explanation for the 'colitas', given by Don Henley, one of the song writers.

The colitas is a plant that grows in the desert that blooms at night, and it has this kind of pungent, almost funky smell. Don Henley came up with a lot of the lyrics for that song, and he came up with colitas. When we try to write lyrics, we try to write lyrics that touch multiple senses, things you can see, smell, taste, hear.​

Some other people say its a reference to marijuana. You can find our more about the discussion by following the link. Click on the lines you are interested in. An explanation will appear on the right, when there is one.

(Not all the songs are commented on, but there are several contributions to this song.)

Language Hound

American English
    And from Wikipedia:
    The term "colitas" in the first stanza ("warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air") has been interpreted as a sexual slang or a reference to marijuana.[43] "Colitas" means "little tails" in Spanish; in Mexican slang it refers to buds of the cannabis (marijuana) plant.[44][45] According to Glenn Frey, the "warm smell" is "colitas...it means little tails, the very top of the plant."[46] The Eagles' manager Irving Azoff appears to lend support to the marijuana hypothesis,[47] however, Felder said: "The colitas is a plant that grows in the desert that blooms at night, and it has this kind of pungent, almost funky smell. Don Henley came up with a lot of the lyrics for that song, and he came up with colitas."

< Previous | Next >