collaborative piano

< Previous | Next >

cabalao

Spanish / Spain
Hello from Galicia, NW of Spain!

I'm subtitling a tv documentary and I'm not sure what "collaborative piano" refers to.

Is it two or more people playing together? Is it piano plus voice?

Your help is welcome!

Cabalao

• Matching Mole

England, English
    It is very difficult to answer questions like this if you don't put the phrase or word in context. Please provide the sentence that the phrase appears in, and a little surrounding text would also be useful.

cabalao

Spanish / Spain
    This is the context:

"I've met an amazing person, she's a pianist at the collaborative piano classes at Rutgers University, but she happens to be a great bagpipe player too..."

Any ideas?

Thank you

Matching Mole

England, English
    This makes all the difference as the noun phrase is "collaborative piano classes", "classes" being the actual subject. This would likely be a class where students collaborate (work together) in some way, for example in compositions.

cabalao

Spanish / Spain
    Thank you, mole.

Your guess is my 1st option.

Anyway, I'm looking for an answer from someone who actually knows what "collaborative piano" is because he/she is really involved in music and/or teaching.

I'll cross my fingers and wait, but for now I wanna thank you for your attention and kindness.

Cabalao

AngelEyes

English - United States
    cabalao,

An excellent site to visit:

HERE

Apparently in the early 90's, piano accompanists got tired of just being considered "servants" to the other artists they played for. Thus, this new, more respected phrase was born, along with the vision of raising the awareness that talented piano players were much more than that!

A piano collaborator is an artist who performs on par with other musicians and singers. They may be singers, themselves. But they want everyone to know that they are the equals to all the other musicians they perform with.

This site I visited above was very enlightening, because I didn't know these piano players had consciously decided to "move up" in the entertainment world.

Well, more power to them. Their talent is one that should be recognized and respected.

And while they may always play with someone else, please do not call them the accompanist. Call them a piano collaborator.

I hope this site helps you!

AngelEyes

cabalao

Spanish / Spain
    Brilliant!!!

AngelEyes, your reply is right on target.

A big thank you too goes to badgrammar for his remark.

AngelEyes, one last thing: I am the proud father of two, so your Winnie The Pooh quote was quite touching.

Finally, finding people willing to help for the sake of pure generosity is simply inspiring... My respect to you all at this forum.

Cabalao

AngelEyes

English - United States
    Finally, finding people willing to help for the sake of pure generosity is simply inspiring... My respect to you all at this forum.
    Cabalao
    The longer I'm here, the more I appreciate the circle that makes up this Forum. There is no beginning or end to the learning that goes on here.

I'm glad I could help. But you should know that I learned, too, about a term I'd never heard of until you asked your question.

See? It's the perfect circle again. And apparently students can go to school now and learn to specifically become a collaborative pianist.

AngelEyes

~ I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me...
    Winnie the Pooh

< Previous | Next >