collar county

perpend

Banned
American English
Officials in Chicago's collar counties still plan to wait until June to begin granting same-sex marriage licenses, despite a statement this week from Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan that the state's current restriction on gay marriage is unconstitutional.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-same-sex-marirage-collar-counties-met-20140306,0,2015510.story

This eludes me. How can Chicago have "collar counties" when Lake Michigan is 50% of the boundary of Cook County?

I'd be pleased as punch to hear from Illinoians/Chicagoans.

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    When my shirt is unbuttoned at the neck, which is most of the time (unless I'm wearing a T-shirt), my collar doesn't go all around my neck either. The concept of "collar counties" is independent of whether or not the central city borders in part on a body of water.

Added in edit: Great minds, unconstrained by tight collars, think alike.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Alright already, but a "collar" is a circle. They are talking about a semi-circle at best.

Myridon

English - US
    I would have no problem saying that Chicago is surrounded by farmland if that was the case. We realize there is no farmland or counties in the lake.
    It would be more productive for you to try and find out how Chicago can be in the Mid-West when it's rather obviously in the northeast. :)

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, it's plumb smack-dab in the middle of the Mid-West, so there's nothing to be done about that.

So, does the "collar" mean sort of a "strangulation" of sorts? (That's a serious question.)

Myridon

English - US
    So, does the "collar" mean sort of a "strangulation" of sorts? (That's a serious question.)
    If you look at the Wikipedia article, I think you might gather that the surrounding counties do act as a conservative restraint upon the liberal leanings of the city.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think of a collar as on a pet, or "loved one". They form a circle.

On a person, a collar can be buttoned to form a circle, but that's been touched upon.

But, I see now that I've misunderstood the meaning of "collar county" in my midst. I never knew.

Thanks everyone!

< Previous | Next >