collected company

< Previous | Next >

mthvd

French
Hello everyone, I'm working on a song by the Australian band Midnight Oil in which they refer to "collected companies" but I'm not sure I really understand the meaning of this expression. So if one of you can help me with understanding it or translating it into French, I would be grateful.

• wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    Hello methvd,

I'm sorry your question has gone so long with no reply. Probably because you have given so little context.

What are the lyrics before and after collected companies? You may quote up to four lines of verse here.

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I don't know if the context will help some (it didn't help me) but here are a few lines of the song The Dead Heart

There is a link to the full lyrics near the bottom, but I'm not sure if I can post it.
    This is the last chorus.
    Mining companies, pastoral companies
    Uranium companies, collected companies
    Got more right than people
    Got more say than people
    Could it be an Australian reality/expression? :confused:

USMeg

English/USA
    I think it is pretty literally companies "gathered together" to overrun/displace the indigenous people. "More right than people" = If you have enough money, you win.

AmaryllisBunny

It either means, "companies as a whole/in general" or "companies working in collaboration." It depends on the spacing (pauses), which you won't see in the punctuation.

collected companies (no pause in-between): companies working in collaboration
    collected _ companies (pause in-between): companies as a whole

mthvd

French
    Ok, thanks for your answers. I thought there was a particular meaning for this expression as regard to Australia and the Aboriginal communities.

wildan1

Moderando ma non troppo (French-English, CC Mod)
    English - USA
    You may be correct, mthvd, but it seems that none of us looking at your question is from or familiar with Australia. Everything above may just be "best guesses."

Let's hope that a member with such insight into Australia, and its possible uses of this term, will respond to your question.

< Previous | Next >