College Degrees (Liberal Arts)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by RicGomez, May 23, 2006.

  1. RicGomez New Member

    USA English
    Since the schools and universaties grant different types of diplomas, degrees and such; I am wondering if there is a reference site that could assist our group in translating the following:

    Liberal Arts Degree
    Associate Degree

    While a literal translation makes sense because the curriculum being offered is at a USA school; a literal translation then fails to truly identify and communicate the true message:

    "Now the College of the Desert offers a two-year Associates Degree in Liberal Arts.."

    Any input will be appreciated.

  2. VenusEnvy

    VenusEnvy Senior Member

    Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    The first one is a bit vague. Liberal Arts Degree as in... Associate's Degree? Bachelor's Degree? Master's Degree? PostDoc degree? You'd have to clarify this in order to receive a more accurate answer...

    Associate's Degree -
    Grado Asociado

    Liberal Arts Degree (A.A.) -
    Grado Asociado de Letras
    Grado Asociado de Humanidades

    Ahora la College of the Desert ofrece un grado asociado cumplido en dos años en [las Letras / las Humanidades]....

    I hope I've helped you. Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm not a native Spanish speaker...
  3. KateNicole Senior Member

    Miami, Florida
    English (USA)
    Yo diría "de dos años" en vez de "cumplido en dos años" y diría "College of the Desert" sin el artículo.
  4. RicGomez New Member

    USA English
    Gracias por sus respuestas, pero pienso qúe los titúlos no se refieren como "grados" - si no: DIPLOMA UNIVERSITARIO ASOCIADO EN LETRAS EN DOS AÑOS.

    However, the "Liberal" part is what got me. How does "EN LETRAS" possibly mean the same thing?
  5. VenusEnvy

    VenusEnvy Senior Member

    Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Don't think of the Spanish word "grado" as "grade" in English. "Grado" is simply how "Associate's Degree" is translated. Maybe a second opinion (here, here and here)would help you feel better... Take a look at those threads and draw your own conclusions.

    Once again, don't think of "las letras" literally. It's simply an equivalent. If you still don't feel comfortable with that suggestion, look here , here and here.

    This may also serve you:
    liberal arts - humanidades, letras
  6. KateNicole Senior Member

    Miami, Florida
    English (USA)
    Degree and diploma is not the same thing. The diploma is a piece of paper. The degree is abstract.
  7. zelan Senior Member

    Valencia/ Spain
    Degree es titulación, no?

Share This Page