Collegio dei docenti

< Previous | Next >

jakeapeg

Scotland, English
I'm rewriting my CV in English, and I have no idea how to say that one of my responsibilities in my current post is to take part in a Collegio dei Docenti... I would be extremely grateful for any insights!

• Paulfromitaly

Italian
    There's a problem here: it's true that "collegio dei docenti" can be translated as "teaching body", however I believe we tend to call "collegio docenti" a teachers/professors meeting rather than the teaching staff itself.
    Am I wrong?

lilu8

italian
    I would say Teaching Body because it is not only referred to "meetings" but to an university body composed by professors and so on.

Vannina

Italian
    ma se per "collegio dei docenti" di un dottorato usassi "programme board" (tipo scientific board)? >> forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1186169

Vannina

Italian
    Ma il collegio dei docenti di un PhD non include tutti i docenti, ma quelli che partecipano stabilmente delle decisioni: programmi, valutazioni ecc. In realtà è più un Scientific Board.

bise

Italian
    Dear all,

I have the same problem and it seems to me that this thread has not found a clear solution.
    I should translate the sentence "Allego anche l'estratto verbale del collegio docenti relativo alla mia ammissione all'esame finale" where "collegio docenti" refers to the Ph.D commitee...

My try is "I enclose also the abstract from the minutes of the faculty board/meeting about my admission to the final exam"

I thank you for your help!

reka39

Banned
    Italian
    Ma il collegio dei docenti di un PhD non include tutti i docenti, ma quelli che partecipano stabilmente delle decisioni: programmi, valutazioni ecc. In realtà è più un Scientific Board.
    Ciao! Come si puo' dire "Quel signore è un membro del collegio dei docenti del Dottorato in Trasporti e Mobilità". Ovviamente il membro e' un professore. Chi parla è uno studente che sta indicando con la mano una certa persona ad un altro suo amico. Il mio tentativo è "That man is a member or the Scientific Board of the PhD program in Transport and Mobility". Grazie.

WordsWordWords

Am English
    ****** NEW QUESTION ******

Hello everyone,
    I am re-opening this thread. I am translating the website for an Italian university's PhD program description/application. "Collegio dei Docenti" is used as part of the following legal reference:

Il Decreto Ministeriale n. 45/2013 di riforma dei Dottorati di Ricerca, all’art. 12, comma 1, sancisce che “l’ammissione al dottorato comporta un impegno esclusivo e a tempo pieno”. I dottorandi che svolgono attività lavorativa (autonoma o dipendente) sono tenuti a comunicarlo al momento dell'iscrizione. La concessione della compatibilità tra il Corso di Dottorato e l'attività lavorativa sarà valutata, caso per caso, dal Collegio dei Docenti.

"Faculty Meeting" cannot work in this legalese context. "Academic Board" or "Board of Regents" are my attempts but I'd welcome any input.

Thank you in advance

Edit: Perhaps "the Faculty" would suffice here, as in:
    ".....Granting of compatibility between the PhD program and the work activity is to be assessed on a case by case basis by the Faculty."

Last edited:

WordsWordWords

Am English
    It doesn't work, at least in the USA
    Faculty council is "Consiglio di facoltà" which is a different thing.

Consiglio di Facoltà
    Thank you Paul >> except you quoted the thread that I started yesterday! :eek::D There was nothing on WR...

But -- I now have BOTH of those terms to deal with ("Consiglio di facoltà" and "Collegio dei docenti") in my current text to translate and it's making my head spin :confused:

So, what is the difference?

Paulfromitaly

Italian
    except you quoted the thread that I started yesterday! :eek::D There was nothing on WR
    I know and I'm telling you that faculty council can't be both Consiglio di facoltà and consiglio docenti because they are two different things.
    I'd trust Joan's suggestion that consiglio di facoltà means faculty council.
    "collegio dei docenti" can be translated as "teaching body", however I believe we tend to call "collegio docenti" a teachers/professors meeting rather than the teaching staff itself.

WordsWordWords

Am English
    I know and I'm telling you that faculty council can't be both Consiglio di facoltà and consiglio docenti because they are two different things.
    I'd trust Joan's suggestion that consiglio di facoltà means faculty council.
    :tick: I agree, and it was my oversight above in accepting Benzene's suggestion to use it for "Collegio dei docenti", so thank you for catching that! :)

Having said that, I'm not sure "Teaching body" is the best translation for "Collegio dei docenti". I found it within the definition of "Faculty" here (5th entry):

the definition of faculty

So couldn't "Faculty" be OK for "Collegio dei docenti"?

Mary49

Italian
    Hi WWW,
    what you have found refers to schools, not universities, and the two boards/councils are definitely different. In your post #10 there is a reference to "dottorato", so I think that in this case "Doctoral School Committee" could work.
    Il Collegio dei Docenti | Drphys "Il Collegio dei Docenti è composto da professori ordinari o associati e da ricercatori universitari dell'Università di Trento, da ricercatori degli Enti che collaborano con il Corso di Dottorato e da due rappresentanti degli allievi eletti ogni due anni". "The Doctoral School Committee consists of full or associate professors and researchers of Trento University, and researchers of Institutes participating in the partnership of the Doctoral Programme, and of two students elected every two years".
    Reading here and there on the net I see that "Collegio dei Docenti" refers almost exclusively to dottorati di ricerca. I wouldn't use "Teachers' Council".

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hi WWW,
    what you have found refers to schools, not universities, and the two boards/councils are definitely different. In your post #10 there is a reference to "dottorato", so I think that in this case "Doctoral School Committee" could work.
    Thank you Mary for the perceptive observation....:thumbsup: I think we're getting close but we're not there yet. I am still not sure that "Doctoral School Committee" is the solution. I ran it through Google and it came up as slightly more than 2,000. I have poked around a bit more and on the Bocconi website I found "PhD Program Committee" , and it sounds a bit more polished to my ear; indeed, it yields 30,000 hits from N. America and Europe. Specifically, this caught my eye:

PhD Program Committee | Academics

>> Within that page there's this:
    The committee deals with all aspects of the PhD program including admissions, scholarships and awards, student funding, curriculum, student appeals, and faculty supervisory status. The committee also supports the individual academic areas in assessing student progress in the program.
    Recommendations on the following are discussed, approved, and forwarded the Faculty Council for final approval: Curricular changes for the Ph.D. program, new course proposal for Ph.D. courses, substantive changes to existing Ph.D. courses.

So, I think I can use "PhD Program Committee" for Collegio dei docenti in a university context, and Faculty Council for Consiglio di Facoltà as referred to above by Paul.

Thoughts?
    Thanks again!

Florio60

English - Australia
    Sorry to stir things up again, but I have come across the term 'Collegio docenti' in regard to applications to a Master's course, and so it does not necessarily pertain to PhD students. I have translated it as 'Academic Board'. Do you think this is appropriate?

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hello Florio60,

These terms are very difficult to find exact equivalents for between the two languages because the respective academic systems themselves do not "line up". I think 'Academic Board' would refer to a larger governing body of the university itself and less to do with specific programs within the university. Maybe in your context "Masters Program Committee" could do the trick?

(Can you give a bit more context?)

Florio60

English - Australia
    Thank you for your reply, WordsWordWord.

The document I am translating regards an upcomng Master's course and the number of places envisaged. The sentence in question reads:

Il Collegio docenti potrà altresì valutare se sussistano le condizioni per ampliare il suddetto contingente di posti

which I have translated as

The Academic Board may also assess whether conditions exist for extending the aforementioned number of places.

WordsWordWords

Am English
    Hmmm. Your context is different than mine was, and perhaps here "Academic Board" is a good fit. But I thought that the Italian for "Academic Board" is "Consiglio accademico" rather than "Collegio docenti".

Maybe wait and see what other input comes along.

< Previous | Next >