colloquial/slang word for self-praise and its antonyms

• Biffo

English - England
    I think we need a sample sentence to answer that. I can think of various answers but they don't all belong to the same grammatical category. Please can you give us a sentence with a blank where the word should go?

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    What is the colloquial/slang word for self-praise and its antonyms ?
    It sounds as though you are asking for a list, and that is something we don't provide. We deal with specific words or phrases in context. What is your sentence and the context in which you'll be using it?

Jacobdeiter

Badaga
    A guy always praise about himself but he does not possess any of the qualities he speaks
    Conversely, another guy never praises himself but he has many good qualities.
    I want to know the how each guy should be called such as self-pride guy, etc

MattiasNYC

Swedish
    A guy always praise about himself but he does not possess any of the qualities he speaks
    I don't think praising oneself is necessarily the same thing as pride. A person can actually "brag" about himself and it can be an expression of self-doubt, ironically. A lot of insecure people "over-compensate" actually. Similarly someone who doesn't praise himself yet has good qualities may or may not be avoiding "self-praise" consciously. The distinction isn't pointless because the terms you're seeking may imply intent or cause etc.

Look up the definition of "modest" for the second person and see if that's what you're looking for.

Loob

English UK
    Jacobdeiter, you still haven't given us a complete sentence or told us anything about the context in which you'd like to use these words. Is this you speaking? Is this you speaking about a friend? Who are you speaking to? Is the situation formal? Etcetera ...

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    These are two different situations that you want to describe, so two different questions. Each of them will need a sentence for context, and its own thread. Give us one sentence for this thread, along with context of the sort Loob describes. You can start a new thread for the other.

Jacobdeiter

Badaga
    In my previous example,I am talking about my two friends.

when I talk to a person, for instance X, want to use best colloquial/slang word to refer my two friend's characteristic.

< Previous | Next >