Colonist or colonialist?

Dieses Thema im Forum "Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés" wurde erstellt von caffe, 3. Juli 2009.

1. caffe Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentine Spanish
    Hi!
    I'm writing an essay on Shakespeare's The Tempest. I want to express that the main character, Prospero, is the symbol of the colonist (or colonialist?)
    I have doubts about the difference between both terms, and the dictionaries I have don't help me much.
    Can anybody tell me the difference and which one is better in this case?

Thanks!

2. Dlyons

Dlyons Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    Un "colonist" es un colonizador.
    Un "colonialist" es un seguidor del sistema de colonialismo. Hoy en día tiene matizes pejorativos.

Cual es lo mejor depende de su tesis.

3. gengo

gengo Senior Member

San Francisco
    American English
    De acuerdo con Dylons.

4. 0scar Banned

Spanish-Argentina
    Prospero es un colono.

5. gengo

gengo Senior Member

San Francisco
    American English
    Thanks for correcting colonizador, but that doesn't really answer the question of whether to use colonist or colonialist, and the distinction Dylons made between those two English words is what I was agreeing with.

6. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    Prospero is perhaps an unwilling colonist, because he has been compelled to live on his island. However, it was never his intention to foster the colonization of any place, and so it would not make sense to call him a "colonialist".

7. gengo

gengo Senior Member

San Francisco
    American English
    Nice one, GWB! My lack of Shakespeare knowledge is showing.

8. 0scar Banned

Spanish-Argentina
    Colonist quiere decir colono.

colonist
    noun
    1.an inhabitant of a colony.
    2.a member of a colonizing expedition.
    3.(often initial capital letter) an inhabitant of the 13 British colonies that became the United States of America.
    dictionary.com

9. Roberto_Mendoza

Roberto_Mendoza Senior Member

Michoacán, México
    Spanish - México
    Sólo para clarificar, creo que también se puede usar "colonizador", en especial si no se habla de una persona que ya vive en un lugar (un colono), sino de una person que forma parte del grupo que inicialmente estableció una colonia o comunidad en una tierra antes deshabitada. Es decir, la segunda acepción de las que das aquí. Saludos.

10. 0scar Banned

Spanish-Argentina
    Un colono es las dos cosas
    1. m. y f. Persona que coloniza un territorio o que habita en una colonia.

Colonizador es un adjetivo que puede usarse como sustantivo. Un colono es colonizador o habitante de una colonia.
    Colonizador como sustantivo suena a alguien que habitualmente coloniza.

11. Roberto_Mendoza

Roberto_Mendoza Senior Member

Michoacán, México
    Spanish - México
    Pues en México, y en textos de algunos otros países, se usa la palabra "colonizador" con bastante frecuencia, y nadie parece confundirse. Pero igual y es sólo por acá en México. Saludos.

12. 0scar Banned

Spanish-Argentina
    El contexto es fundamental.
    Muchas veces debe usarse porque es obligatorio, por ejemplo, alguien que no vive en una colonia pero impulsa el establecimientos de colonias, solo es un colonizador, no puede hablarse de que es un colono.

13. caffe Member

Buenos Aires
    Argentine Spanish
    Thanks everybody!!!
    After your explanation of the difference between the two concepts, I think that "colonialist" is the best word for my essay, since it is a postcolonial reading of the play, and I am talking about ideologists. According to my thesis, Prospero is not only a person who lives in a island ("colonist"), but a person who tries to colonize the island by manipulating the native Caliban ideologically and culturally ("colonialist").
    Thanks a lot, you've been very helpful!

Dlyons: thanks a lot. Just a couple of corrections of your text in Spanish:
    "matices" va con "c". Si bien se esribe "matiz", la regla dice que la "z" no puede ir con la "e" ni con la "i", entonces se convierte en "c". Otros ejemplos:
    pez: peces
    juez: jueces
    raíz: raíces

Por último, es "peyorativo" y no "pejorativo"

Please, If I have mistakes in English, correct me, thanks!!

Diese Seite empfehlen

Die Seite wird geladen...