(color) looks too heavy

meijin

Japanese
Hi, please imagine that your room looks clean and refreshing because your furniture, curtains, etc. are all light-colored. Then someone gave you a compact humidifier as a gift. You took it out of the box and placed it in your room. But, of course, it looks out of place in the room, because the humidifier is entirely black-colored. So you say...

"I don't like it. It looks (too) heavy."

It's not about the weight of the humidifier. It's about the black color that gave you the heavy impression. Is it correct to use "heavy" in this meaning, or is there a better way to describe it? I don't think "It looks too dignified" works.

• Language Hound

American English
    "It looks too heavy" sounds to me like it only refers to the weight of the humidifier.
    I would probably say:
    It looks too dark.

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you all very much for the replies. :)

It looks too dark! is also what I would say. I suppose you could also say, It gives a heaviness to the room which I don't like.
    The second sentence is exactly the meaning I wanted "It looks too heavy" to convey. Would you say "It looks too dark" is enough to mean that? How about "It feels heavy"?

Language Hound

American English
    "It looks heavy" and "It feels heavy" all sound to me like you're referring to the weight.
    Stick with YLR's suggestion of "It gives a heaviness to the room which I don't like."

Edited to add: "It looks too dark" does not directly convey the meaning you wish to express.
    It simply expresses the idea that the dark color of the humidifier does not go with the light colors of everything in the room.

I suppose you could also say something like: "It's too dark, and it detracts from the light and airy feeling of the room."

meijin

Japanese
    Thank you very much for the explanations, LH. I really appreciate the help.

Having said that, I'm still wondering if there is an adjective that can possibly match the context without making the sentence long. How about "It looks too profound/deep/serious"? Don't work?

meijin

Japanese
    How about "The black (color) looks too heavy"?
    This way, no one would misunderstand that it's about the weight of the humidifier.

Copyright

American English
    If you say "black," we know it's the color – what else could it be.

I seem to be the only one who thinks that "heavy," as in oppressive, is all right. As for "The black looks too dark," while it's all right, I'm also thinking that a dark gray isn't going to be any better ... or even a medium gray. It's the only black thing in the room ... so it can appear heavy.

There are two opposites of light – dark and heavy. Either one is fine, really.

meijin

Japanese
    If you say "black," we know it's the color – what else could it be.
    Nothing else, in this context. I was working on something else in which "black" could mean "the black one", "the black version", etc., so I unconsciously added the parentheses part...

I'm glad that "The black looks too heavy" works. I hope You Little Ripper and Language Hound have no problem with it.

< Previous | Next >