Color oblique

< Previous | Next >

Dunno123

Slovak
Hello. Please could you tell me what "color oblique" means? It's a description of a video from Mars (Color Oblique Movie of Mars).

Oblique = not expressed or done in a direct way :confused:

Does it mean that the colors are not accurate (different from what you could see with your eyes)? Or that the colors were added/changed for some reason? Or something else?

• lingobingo

English - England
    I think it means that the movie is in colour (as opposed to being monochrome) and it presents an oblique view. It’s an oblique movie in colour.

Delvo

American English
    There is no phrase "color oblique". It's a color movie, and it's an oblique movie.

I don't think I would have called it that. I might have left out the word "color", or put the words in the other order, or made a longer phrase out of "oblique" to separate the two adjectives from each other. The person who titled that video works for a European organization, so I suspect (s)he's not a native Englisher.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The words on the site are not written by a native speaker. In translation from the original language (German), it should be "False Color Movie of Mars."

False colour describes an image whose colours have been digitally manipulated in order to provide contrast or to highlight certain aspects.

Myridon

English - US
    The movie was produced by the European Space Agency. Looking at the movie, I would say it's a "false color" movie. There may be a translation problem.

Cross-posted with PaulQ with whom I agree.

Delvo

American English
    What German word means "oblique" alone but equates to "false" in "false color"? And why did the order switch from adjective-noun to noun-adjective despite neither English nor German normally using that order?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    It seems that one can have orthogonal or oblique imagery that is in colour. Thus the word oblique seems to mean "shot at an angle" rather than "from directly overhead" (orthogonal) - the video supports this notion:)

REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL
    For Color Orthogonal& Color Oblique Imagery
    OVERVIEW
    Austin County Appraisal District is seeking services from a qualified and experienced vendor for the delivery of color Orthogonal and color Oblique imagery for Austin County(663 square miles).Projection(NAD 1983 State Plane Texas South Central FIPS 4204 Feet
    Source

< Previous | Next >