Colored cards system in US schools

alemuci

"We’ve all seen an elementary school student flop downandweep over a color change": this sentence refers to some evaluation system usedi in US elementary school: how does it work? Does it imply the use of cards? Does the student lose privileges getting a yellow or a red card?
Thank you for your help!

• Language Hound

American English
    "We’ve all seen an elementary school student flop down and weep over a color change
    Not all of us have!
    I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.

Please provide the source of your quote as required by the WR rules and give us some more context. It would probably help to tell us what sentence came before and after this one.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! :)

alemuci

Thank you Language Hound!
    The sentence comes from an American book providing teaching techniques. This one belongs to the chapter about consequences, punishment etc., and the whole sentence is: We’ve all seen an elementary school student flop down and weep over a color change. But in Emilie’s system, four checks result in a color change (green to yellow or yellow to red). This enables her to address small behaviors consistently and to distribute checks without hesitation, without having to immediately resort to a card color change (which can be a big deal to young kids).
    I thought about a semaphore system, or something like the cards of the referees in soccer. I just wanted to understand how it works exactly.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Presumably the "card" in question is the child's "report card". Perhaps in some places the basic colour of the card itself is chosen by the school to give an overall (but very coarse) impression of how well the pupil is doing.

alemuci

mmm... but does the child get a report card or more report cards in classroom directly from the teacher, or it's something given once or twice in a year, maybe to parents? I assumed the type of cards described here was something of a regular everyday practice to provide the student an immediate feedback on his/her behavior...