colorfully tiled swimming pool

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Renatrix, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Renatrix Senior Member

polski
    There is a swimming pool whose bottom and walls are covered with colored tiles. Can I describe it as a "colorfully tiled swimming pool"?

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    I think you can. Although I wouldn't spell it that way, being British!

3. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    I would hyphenate that to "*colo(u)rfully-tiled".

*And I would be wrong about that.:p Thank you Parla.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  4. Renatrix Senior Member

polski
    Thank you:)

5. JAQT Senior Member

California and NYC
    English - American
    Only if the colors of the tiles are different from each other. If they are all the same color you can't.

6. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    If multiple colors are used, yes. And in AE, "colorfully tiled" is correct (no hyphen between the words); we don't use a hyphen after an adverb that ends in "-ly" preceding an adjective.

7. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    You wouldn't be wrong in BrE, Veli. When an adverb+adjective makes a compound adjective, the use of a hyphen is generally accepted (though not obligatory) if the adjective is attributive, but not if it's predicative. See this BBC article. The tendency these days is not to use the hyphen, because it's usually unnecessary, but I've never seen a BrE source that says it's actually wrong.

Ws

8. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Why? If the tiles are colourful (= full of colour = brightly coloured) I see no reason not to say that it's a "colo(u)rfully-tiled swimming pool".

9. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    I Googled "colorfully tiled swimming pools" [images] and the most wildly colorful one was just variations on blue. I don't think I would call variations on one color "colorfully tiled". It could be an oddity but I did not find any of these oddities when I looked.

Here is the most "colorful" one I found, an interesting mosaic, but all in shades and tints of blue:

[​IMG]

10. Renatrix Senior Member

polski
    The swimming pool I have in mind is actually black and white for the time being... It's a task for kids where they get black and white pictures to color according to some vague instructions, e.g. find a coin on the bottom of this colorfully tiled swimming pool. So it's an imaginary pool.

11. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    If it's black and white it's not colourful.

12. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    Nailed it! :thumbsup:

13. Renatrix Senior Member

polski
    It will be once the child colors it according to the instructions:).

14. JAQT Senior Member

California and NYC
    English - American
    Below is a pool with vividly blue tiles. Despite that, in my opinion I wouldn't call it "colorful" because it's essentially all one color. To me, "colorful" implies many different colors.

[​IMG]

15. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Interesting. That looks pretty colourful to me. The Collins definition is
    That pool certainly has an intense colour.

16. Wordsmyth

Wordsmyth Senior Member

Native language: English (BrE)
    As it does to me, too. I'd say there's quite a difference between "colourful" and "multicoloured".

Ws