colorfully tiled swimming pool

Renatrix

polski
There is a swimming pool whose bottom and walls are covered with colored tiles. Can I describe it as a "colorfully tiled swimming pool"?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I would hyphenate that to "*colo(u)rfully-tiled".

*And I would be wrong about that.:p Thank you Parla.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    There is a swimming pool whose bottom and walls are covered with colored tiles. Can I describe it as a "colorfully tiled swimming pool"?
    If multiple colors are used, yes. And in AE, "colorfully tiled" is correct (no hyphen between the words); we don't use a hyphen after an adverb that ends in "-ly" preceding an adjective.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I would hyphenate that to "*colo(u)rfully-tiled".

*And I would be wrong about that.:p Thank you Parla.
    You wouldn't be wrong in BrE, Veli. When an adverb+adjective makes a compound adjective, the use of a hyphen is generally accepted (though not obligatory) if the adjective is attributive, but not if it's predicative. See this BBC article. The tendency these days is not to use the hyphen, because it's usually unnecessary, but I've never seen a BrE source that says it's actually wrong.

Ws

Andygc

British English
    Only if the colors of the tiles are different from each other. If they are all the same color you can't.
    Why? If the tiles are colourful (= full of colour = brightly coloured) I see no reason not to say that it's a "colo(u)rfully-tiled swimming pool".

Packard

USA, English
    I Googled "colorfully tiled swimming pools" [images] and the most wildly colorful one was just variations on blue. I don't think I would call variations on one color "colorfully tiled". It could be an oddity but I did not find any of these oddities when I looked.

Here is the most "colorful" one I found, an interesting mosaic, but all in shades and tints of blue:

Renatrix

polski
    The swimming pool I have in mind is actually black and white for the time being... It's a task for kids where they get black and white pictures to color according to some vague instructions, e.g. find a coin on the bottom of this colorfully tiled swimming pool. So it's an imaginary pool.

JAQT

English - American
    Why? If the tiles are colourful (= full of colour = brightly coloured) I see no reason not to say that it's a "colo(u)rfully-tiled swimming pool".
    Below is a pool with vividly blue tiles. Despite that, in my opinion I wouldn't call it "colorful" because it's essentially all one color. To me, "colorful" implies many different colors.

Andygc

British English
    Interesting. That looks pretty colourful to me. The Collins definition is
    • having intense colour or richly varied colours
    • vivid, rich, or distinctive in character
    That pool certainly has an intense colour.

< Previous | Next >