Colossal Keepsake Corporation of Connecticut

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
"Colossal Keepsake Corporation of Connecticut" is the name of a group composed of architecture students and faculty members of Yale university dating back to 70's. Does the name of this group mean "a memorial corporation located in Connecticut"?

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think you should do an internet search to find out what they say their purpose is.

It could also mean that they make keepsakes.

Added: I just did a search and found this in a Wiki article on a sculpture called: Lipstick (Ascending) on Caterpillar Tracks - Wikipedia

An architecture student, Stuart Wrede, and a group of architecture students raised money, under the name of the Colossal Keepsake Corporation of Connecticut, and worked in collaboration with Claes Oldenburg. It was installed on May 15, 1969, in Beinecke Plaza at Yale University, as a speakers' platform for anti-war protests.[4]

It had a soft, inflated lipstick section, and wooden treads.[5][6]
    The sole purpose of the association was to raise money for this sculpture. The sculpture was a momento of the admission of women to Yale.

Last edited:

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    The sole purpose of the association was to raise money for this sculpture. The sculpture was a momento of the admission of women to Yale.
    My problem is with the role of "Connecticut" in its name. So I am right that "Connecticut" is simply referring to the place where this group originated in.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Yes, that's probably it.

Remember that this name was created by an informal group of Yale students and alumni. It is likely to contain elements of humor that other people don't recognize.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Colossal Keepsake Corporation of Connecticut" is the name of a group composed of architecture students and faculty members of Yale university dating back to 70's. Does the name of this group mean "a memorial corporation located in Connecticut"?
    No. The name has very little meaning. A person reading the name has no idea what "Keepsake" means here, or why there would be a huge (giant, collosal, gigantic, immense) "keepsake". I would never read "keepsake" and think it means "memorial".

Clearly the name is intended to be funny. If nothing else, it consist of 4 words starting with a "K" sound. That must be intentional: it is probably why it uses "Keepsake" instead of "Monument" or "Memorial" and why "Connecticut" is in the name instead of "Yale" or nothing.

Creating a corporation with four "K" sounds in its name. Sigh. If that is what passes for humor at Yale, I'm glad I went to a different college. :D

< Previous | Next >