Com'è?

intel4

Italian
Salve, vorrei sapere come si traduce "com'è?" in relazione al cibo come nell'esempio seguente:

A:Ho fatto una torta al cioccolato.

B: Vorrei mangiarne una fetta.

A: Ecco a te!

B sta mangiando la fetta.

A: com'è?

B: E' buonissima!

Ho pensato a due possibili traduzioni:

com'è? "what does it taste like?" oppure "how does it taste like?", ma non ne sono sicuro.

Gentilmente, mi dite la traduzione corretta?

Grazie mille!

• elroy

Moderator: EHL, Arabic, Hebrew, German(-Spanish)
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Yes, English and Italian overlap in this cake case.

elroy

“that” would only work in a very limited number of contexts. It’s not interchangeable with “it.”

An example:

They’ve tried some of your cakes before and not liked them. You hope they’ll like this one. “How’s that?” would mean, “How’s this one compared to the others?” Something like “Questa invece com’è?”

"How is it?"does not sound at all idiomatic to me.
    "How does it taste like?" is not an idiomatic construction.
    The "How's that?" construction sounds more idiomatic to me.
    "What's it like?" or "What's it taste like?" are expressions which sound idiomatic to me.
    In the context of the OP, "What do you think?" (without mentioning taste) would also work.

Last edited:

MR1492

English -USA
    Corretto, sicuramente, but I have a question: some colleagues of mine from the US, in a similar case, said "how's that?" using that instead of it.

Can we use both? Is there any difference?

Thanks

You can use either one. Like Italian, English provides multiple options for sentence construction. So, in the example of handing someone a piece of pie, you can ask:

How is it?
    How’s that?
    What do you think?
    How does it taste?

There are undoubtedly more but there isn’t one, standard response!

Phil

intel4

Italian
    You can use either one. Like Italian, English provides multiple options for sentence construction. So, in the example of handing someone a piece of pie, you can ask:

How is it?
    How’s that?
    What do you think?
    How does it taste?

There are undoubtedly more but there isn’t one, standard response!

Phil
    Thank you! So, "how does it taste?" is perfectly idiomatic then!

How's it taste? How does it taste? Both are fine. You could use "like" but with "what" as in "What's it taste like?"
    Thank you very much indeed!

"How does it taste?" is perfect!

[cross-posted]
    Thank you very much!

elroy

I think I'm actually more likely to say "How does it taste?" (or "How's it taste?") than "What does it taste like?" The latter almost sounds like I'm asking them to compare the taste to something specific ("It tastes like sandpaper"; "It tastes like caramel"), whereas the former is open-ended.

Last edited:

intel4

Italian
    I'm think I'm actually more likely to say "How does it taste?" (or "How's it taste?") than "What does it taste like?" The latter almost sounds like I'm asking them to compare the taste to something specific ("It tastes like sandpaper"; "It tastes like caramel"), whereas the former is open-ended.
    What you said about "what does it taste like?" is very interesting; indeed, thank you!