Comb / Brush

ADMP

Sinhaleese - Sri Lanka
Hi Everybody, Good Morning,

Can somebody please explain me what can we call the small sticks in the comb which go through the hair when we comb hair and the sticks in the tooth brush which we can brush our teeth.

I used the word sticks since I don't know the exact word and hope you will understand what I mean.

• Tabac

U. S. - English
    Hi Everybody, Good Morning,

Can somebody please explain me what can we call the small sticks [tines] in the comb which go through the hair when we comb hair and the sticks [bristles] in the tooth brush which we can brush our teeth.

I used the word sticks since I don't know the exact word and hope you will understand what I mean.
    Hope this helps.

Elfeater

United States, English
    On a tooth brush, they would be called "bristles", but as for the comb part, I'm not really certain what they would be called in a proper manner. I've never really seen or heard anyone talk about the "bristles" (for lack of a better word) of a comb specifically. If they break, I would expect them to say that the comb broke rather than the "bristles" themselves. Although I am sure that there is a proper term for it.

EDIT: I see that it is tines, haha, there you go.

ADMP

Sinhaleese - Sri Lanka
    Combs have teeth.
    Brushes have bristles.

Orange Blossom
    Thank you all for you different views of answers.
    sometimes children bite the bristles in the brush while they brush their teeth. Therefore they get damage and there may be gaps in between bristles. If you want to tell the child not to make gaps, how can we explain it.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thank you all for you different views of answers.
    sometimes children bite the bristles in the brush while they brush their teeth. Therefore they get damage and there may be gaps in between bristles. If you want to tell the child not to make gaps, how can we explain it.
    "Don't bite your toothbrush".:)

< Previous | Next >