comb her hair into two tufts

ridgemao

Chinese - Mandarin
Hello:

In this book(Star Power by Arthur Susnow): Joan then helped Betty comb her hair in a pony tail.

If the above sentence is correct, can I say a Mom helped her daughter comb her hair into two tufts for this hairstyle(link2)?

From my previous thread, I understand there is no specific name for this hair style, people can only call it tuft. When my wife used a comb to make this hairstyle for my daughter, I wanted to describe what my wife was doing, can I say "comb her hair into two tufts" here?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    Assuming that you are asking about the verb "comb" rather than "tuft," combing hair generally involves the use of a comb (though in some cases you can comb your fingers through your hair). Chfattouma's suggestion of "brush" similarly involves the use of a brush. I can imagine creating that little girl's hairstyle entirely by gathering it with my hands so, in that case, it was neither combed nor brushed. The method can be used to describe the result but sometimes the same result can be reached through several methods so we need to know how the hairstyle was created not just the end result to correctly state your entire sentence.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Tufts" sounds a bit whimsical, and I would not expect tufts to be constrained by any sort of elastic or tie. In AE, we refer to these as "pigtails" when they are lower on the head, and I would use the same word to describe the hairstyle depicted.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I've been looking for images and failed. However, one of my friends' young daughter is often seen with two tufts held by elastic. It happens when there is an attempt to make two ponytails but the hair is too short to hang down.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In AE, we would describe the hairstyle in the first photo as a ponytail. If she had two of them, they would be pigtails. The second photo shows a braid, or a braided ponytail. "Plait" is not in common conversational use in AE to describe the style.

< Previous | Next >