Combat Carlos & Communicating Carlos?

< Previous | Next >

kmcbest

Mandarin Chinese
Hello, I have something from a comic book that I don't understand.

A character said: Jack and Tom, grab MGs and DEWs.
Then a footnote went like MGs=Machine guns, DEWs=Directed Energy Weapons -- Combat Carlos!
Several pages later, another acronym--ICE--is explained in footnote: ICE=Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics -- Communicating Carlos!

What does Carlos mean here? Is this the jargon for "jargon" itself in military?

• Truffula

English - USA
    I think it's an attribution tag like a signature - Carlos is the person writing the footnotes and he's giving himself appropriate epithets in each case.

If you post info about what comic it is, I can verify this or correct it

kmcbest

Mandarin Chinese
    I think it's an attribution tag like a signature - Carlos is the person writing the footnotes and he's giving himself appropriate epithets in each case.

If you post info about what comic it is, I can verify this or correct it
    This is from the issue "Action Man Revoluion" in which G.I. Joe characters cross-up with Transformers, Action Man, etc. The dialog is between G.I. Joes, that's why I think it could be military jargon.

Truffula

English - USA
    Thanks! I've verified my guess. The editor of the G.I. Joe comic is Carlos Guzman. In the letters column he is credited as "Carlos Guzman, Drill Instructor."

The Modern World - Transformers Wiki has the credit.

So - this is an uncommon but known thing in comics. The editor will "sign" the footnotes with a joke name. If the footnote was about some unusual food, he might sign it "Chef Carlos" or "Cooking Carlos" ... the idea is the same.

The clue is in the -- that is between the content of the footnote and the signature. We often put a dash before a signature (see this thread: A hyphen before a name )

Truffula

English - USA
    The TVTropes site in their page Clue from Ed. - TV Tropes lists Stan Lee as the origin of this style also, especially the bit about putting the alliterative adjective on (as you see in the Combat Carlos and Laid-back Len examples).

< Previous | Next >