combination of colors

monaiman

morocco
hi members. hope your weekend is going well!?

i am into photography and sometimes i post comments on photos i like therefore is it correct to say " what a combination of colors?"

• JamesM

hi members. hope your weekend is going well!?

I am into photography and sometimes I post comments on photos I like. Therefore, is it correct to say, " What a combination of colors?"

Hello, monaiman. Welcome to the forum.

(Your best attempt at Standard English is required here, including capitalization and punctuation. In other words, no textspeak, chatspeak or SMS-style messaging. Please keep this in mind for future posts.)

"What a combination of colors!" (with an exclamation mark) would indicate that the combination was impressive to you. It might be more complimentary, though, to add an adjective in front of "combination" to indicate what you liked about the combination:

"What a striking/beautiful/well-balanced/soothing combination of colors!"

or

"What an impressive/artful/elegant combination of colors!"

monaiman

morocco
    I really appreciate your remark and I really need constructive comments like yours on how I should write, especially that I am preparing for TOEFL.

Thanks again

Packard

USA, English
    I would use the phrase "color palette" to express that concept.

A palette is the wooden plate that oil painters use to mix their colors before applying to the canvas. They have to select the colors to put on the palette that are harmonious. That selection is refered to as the "color palette".

"I love the color palette you have chosen; the warm colors are perfect for this subject."

It is a succinct way to express the concept.

Loob

English UK
    Personally, I'd have said that "what a combination of colours!" meant "what a terrible/awful/bad combination of colours!"

That said, if you add an adjective the meaning changes completely. To use JamesM's examples:
    "What a striking/beautiful/well-balanced/soothing combination of colors!"
    or
    "What an impressive/artful/elegant combination of colors!"

< Previous | Next >