Combination of two references one with an "et al."

Aram Soroushian

Farsi
Hello all,

Kindly please guide me if it is correct to replace the sentence below:

"In view of the experiences reported by Smith [1] and Smith et al. [2], we can expect good accuracy from the new implementation."

with

"In view of the experiences reported by Smith et al. [1, 2], we can expect good accuracy from the new implementation."

Thank you very much for your kind attention and probable guidance.

• Aram Soroushian

Farsi
    Thank you very much heypresto for your kind attention and response.

In fact since I wanted to ask a question about addressing the references of a manuscript, I made the two sentences, and the numbers in the brackets are the numbers of the references at the end of the manuscript. My question is that consider that when we want to address a technique proposed by somebody, e.g. A, we write "the technique proposed by A [number of the reference]. Now if there are two techniques and the authors are A and B et al, we write "the techniques proposed by A [ ] and B et al. [ ]". If A and B are the same persons, can we write "the techniques proposed by B et al [ , ]" instead of writing "the techniques proposed by B [ ] and B et al [ ]"?
    This sounds independent from the grammar and context.

Thank you very much for your kind attention and probable guidance.

heypresto

English - England
    If I have understood correctly, and if 'Smith' and 'Smith et al' are different authors, I think you'll have to go with your first sentence.

If you are referring to two references of the same author, you could go with your second sentence.

But you might get a better, more informed, answer from someone more familiar with this sort of writing than I am. Maybe someone will be along soon . . .

cross-posted.

Aram Soroushian

Farsi
    Thank you very much JulianStuart. Thank you very much heypresto.

It seems to me JulianStuart is correct. In the other case, the reader might be somehow misled.

Thank you very much for your kind attention and prompt and constructive guidance.

< Previous | Next >