Combine or unite or coalesce

Victoariae

macedonian
Hi everyone,

I am wondering which word fits better in the following sentence.

Her book combines into one her various trainings.

Her book coalsces into one her various trainings.

Her book unites into one her various trainigns.

Please note that the female writer in question holds many degrees (hence "trainings") and the book in question makes use of all of them.

• lingobingo

English - England
    I find that word order unnatural; also the pluralisation of training (which is basically uncountable). To overcome those problems, I’d probably say that her book was an amalgamation of all her training.

Last edited:

heypresto

English - England
    I agree with lingobingo's suggestion, but I'm not sure that 'training' is the right word. I'm sure she considers her several degrees as something more than, or at least different from, 'training'.

lingobingo

English - England
    Good point. I didn’t notice that last line. In which case qualifications would work. (Although knowledge might be more logical.)

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Degrees are not usually referred to as "training/trainings"
    Gerunds are usually uncountable
    To combine and unite are usually transitive
    coalesces
    into one of her various qualifications. "of" is required.
    into one of her various qualifications. -> which one? Or are you using "one" as a pronoun for "book"? If you are, it is ambiguous.

Slow crosspost - I agree with the above.

lingobingo

English - England
    Ah. That reading of it rather confirms my impression that the word order is unnatural. “Into one” would be better at the end of the sentence.

heypresto

English - England
    While I think 'trainings' is the wrong word, I think that 'Her book combines into one her various trainings' is a legitimate sentence. Put the other way around, it says 'Her book combines her various trainings into one.'

Cross-posted.

Packard

USA, English
    I do not use "coalsce" because it sounds too much like the stool softener that is sold in the USA.

< Previous | Next >