Combining sentences using "and" and "."

AntiScam

Arabic
Hi,

1- The first works of art in the Louvre were bought by the kings of France (. / and) Each ruler added more treasures.

2- The kings of France bought the first works of art in the Louvre (. / and) Each ruler added more treasures.

To me, both options are valid in 2 because the first sentence talks about the kings and the second sentence talks more about them. So "and" is justified.
In 1 however, the first sentence talks about the works of art while the second talks about what the rulers did to the Louvre. Though related, the addition of information is not as apparent as in 2.

What do you think of the options (. / and)? Are they all natural?

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Both sentences have difficulties but, looking at the general punctuation, the second clause adds information to the first.

My choice would be

1- The first works of art in the Louvre were put on display by the then King of France; subsequent rulers added more treasures.
    or
    1- The first works of art in the Louvre were put on display by the then King of France, and subsequent rulers added more treasures.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    1- The first works of art in the Louvre were bought by the kings of France (. / and) Each ruler added more treasures.

2- The kings of France bought the first works of art in the Louvre (. / and) Each ruler added more treasures.
    Antiscam, in each example, does the phrase each ruler include some of the same individuals you call kings of France? Or does each ruler only refer to later rulers, after the set you call kings of France?

AntiScam

Arabic
    Antiscam, in each example, does the phrase each ruler include some of the same individuals you call kings of France? Or does each ruler only refer to later rulers, after the set you call kings of France?
    Well, my bad! I mentioned in another post the source and I thought I did here too. The sentences are from the book, Elements of Language. I guess rulers refer to subsequent rulers.

< Previous | Next >