combustible rubbish

kyotan

Japanese 標準語
I found the word "combustible rubbish" on Wikipedia. "Rubbish" sounds more BE to me, but that was originally written in a document by The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, if I read it correctly.

Could you tell me what you say for both combustible garbage and non-combustible garbage that you dispose from home? (Not any industrial waste.)

Also, could any combination of words below commonly used, or is any combination never used /mean different things?

flammable (non-flammable), burnable (non-burnable), combustible (non-combustible)
trash, garbage, waste, rubbish

In Japan, they are the main two types of garbage that get collected on different days so I wanted to know.

Thank you.

• owlman5

English-US
    Could you tell me what you say for both combustible garbage and non-combustible garbage that you dispose from home? (Not any industrial waste.)
    I normally use "trash" and "garbage" for the waste I produce at home. I don't ordinarily distinguish the combustible material from the non-combustible material.

Also, could any combination of words below commonly used, or is any combination never used /mean different things?

flammable (non-flammable), burnable (non-burnable), combustible (non-combustible)
    trash, garbage, waste, rubbish
    I'd use "trash" and "rubbish" with "combustible". I'd be thinking of trash that was primarily composed of paper, cardboard, and wood. Both "combustible" and "flammable" can also refer to flammable liquids and gases.

"Combustible waste" - This sounds more technical to me. This term could refer to dried manure from a chicken farm. It might refer to the solid waste left in a juice factory...

"Combustible garbage" is possible, but I tend to associate "garbage" with wet, nasty things: moldy fruit, spoiled food, coffee grounds, etc.

Packard

USA, English
    There is a legal definition of "rubbish".

Any solid waste that arises from homes, commercial establishments that doesn't contain any food waste or ashes.

Law Dictionary: What is RUBBISH? definition of RUBBISH (Black's Law Dictionary)

Garbage Law & Legal Definition

According to 7 USCS § 3802 (Title 7, Agriculture; Chapter 69, Swine Health Protection), the term "garbage" means “all waste material derived in whole or in part from the meat of any animal (including fish and poultry) or other animal material, and other refuse of any character whatsoever that has been associated with any such material, resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking, or consumption of food, except that such term shall not include waste from ordinary household operations which is fed directly to swine on the same premises where such household is located.”

< Previous | Next >