come-at-me-with-both-guns-blazing

novice_81

German
Hi

I'm wondering what "come-at-me-with-both-guns-blazing" could mean?

The context can be found here: http://www.litru.ru/br/?b=97346&p=51 at the very end of this chapter.

This paragraph starts with: It's a diner, Caleb.

Could it mean he was a guy who stopped at nothing.

So, she's asking where's the dangerous Caleb who used to stop at nothing?

• ewie

English English
    Hi Novice. Well, rather than a 'guy who stopped at nothing', I'd say it's a guy who was absolutely fearless/reckless/straight-to-the-point-with-no-pussyfooting:)

So, she's asking where's the dangerous Caleb who used to stop at nothing?
    Sort of. "Stop at nothing" means to take any means necessary to achieve an objective and to be relentlessly persistent. The expression in the book is a little more graphic and (metaphorically, at least) violent and a little less about strategy and premeditation.

A person who comes at you "with both guns blazing" is a person who is attacking you without hesitation and with all the force they can muster: Picture a gunfighter of the old American West, a revolver in each hand, firing away with both as fast as he can. I think that's actually where this expression comes from.

From what I read, however, it sounds like the woman in the story is using the term non-specifically to mean "tough guy" or "macho man" or, at any rate, someone who does not complain because a rural diner does not have yogurt and fruit on their breakfast menu.:)

Harry Batt

USA English
    Have you had a chance to see many American movies? In Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" the movie ends when two bank robbers from the USA are surrounded by a troop of soldiers and police. Their plight is hopeless and after they load their weapons the two bandits come-at-the-lawmen-with-both-guns-blazing. It is a plot that has been used in many Hollywood movies. It stamps them as unlikely heroes.

< Previous | Next >