come Friday, I will no longer be here.

"~sganarelle~"

U.S. - English
i'm looking for the translation of the word come in this sentence structure.

another example:

Come January, I will no longer have a job.
Come Thursday, that bar will be completely full.

Venir usually works as a translation so my best guess is:
Vient le venredi, je n'aurai plus de travail.

Anyone know for sure?

• FBC

French
    I think "à partir de" could fit in your sentence:
    A partir de janvier, je n'aurai plus de travail.
    Also : "dès" :
    Dès janvier je n'aurai plus de travail.

ymc

come January is a phrase that means "by January"
    If you say "come January, I will no longer have a job", you mean "D'ici janvier, je n'aurai plus de travail"
    It means it can happen any time between now and then, but then at the latest.

"~sganarelle~"

U.S. - English
    come January is a phrase that means "by January"
    If you say "come January, I will no longer have a job", you mean "D'ici janvier, je n'aurai plus de travail"
    It means it can happen any time between now and then, but then at the latest.
    not quite ymc, come january or come anything means at that point.

"come january i will no longer have a job" = i will be out of a job in january exactly, no later, no earlier.

it is a rather literary phrase, seldom used in conversation. so far 'à partir de' and 'dès' seem like the best options, but even these leave the future open. try another phrase "come friday, the New York night scene changes completely." This means that habitually, every friday, the night scene becomes more lively or changes or whatever. i am interested to know if there is a french equivalent to describe something that recurs like that.

PhilFrance93

France, français
    [quote="~sganarelle~";4094873]"come friday, the New York night scene changes completely." i am interested to know if there is a french equivalent to describe something that recurs like that.[/quote]

On peut tout simplement utiliser :

« Le vendredi venu, etc. »

Hope it helps

veryshy

Morocco/ Arabic
    According to the punctuation in the phrase, it should mean; Viens le vendredi,je ne serai pas là! he he he, followed by a laughter!
    He wanted to join her/him on friday, but he/she will not be there anymore !he he

"~sganarelle~"

U.S. - English
    merci beacoup phil, je viens de boire un coup avec un ami qui a suggéré exactement la même chose! merci d'avoir confirmé, je crois que "le vendredi venu" est bien l'equivalent.

re: veryshy, je vois pas forcement l'existence d'une autre personne dans la phrase, mais je suis content si tu a pu t'amuser...

< Previous | Next >