come from across

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi, I'm curious to know how different 'come across the sea' is from 'come from across the sea.' My gut tells me that the 'come from across the sea' version is a product of compacting 'come from somewhere across the sea' while the 'come across the sea' sentence does not have 'somewhere;' thus, no emphasis on it.

BOY IN BLACK: There's nothing across the sea.
CLAUDIA: There are many things across the sea... You come from across the sea, too.
(Lost, Across the Sea)

Hiro

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    to come from = to originate in, e.g. he comes from China = he originates in China. i.e. his is a native of China
    to come across = to cross, e.g. "He came across the river" = he crossed the river. (nothing is said of the place from which he started his journey.)

So, "{You come from} {across the sea}" = you originate from across the sea.

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
    to come from = to originate in, e.g. he comes from China = he originates in China. i.e. his is a native of China
    to come across = to cross, e.g. "He came across the river" = he crossed the river. (nothing is said of the place from which he started his journey.)

So, "{You come from} {across the sea}" = you originate from across the sea.
    Hello, Paul, and thanks.

My intuition picked that up the second I heard it. However, I wondered how come it is 'from across' ... 'across' straight after 'from.' Would the following also be idiomatic?

You come from somewhere across the sea, too.

Is the construct often used with other prepositions such as above, beyond, etc.?

The poster fell down from above the cupboard.
    They come from beyond the mountain.

Loob

English UK
    Is the construct often used with other prepositions such as above, beyond, etc.?

The poster fell down from above the cupboard.
    They come from beyond the mountain.
    Hi Hiro
    Yes, these would work too:).

The poster fell down from above the cupboard sounds a bit odd, but it's technically correct.
    They come from beyond the mountain sounds absolutely natural:).

< Previous | Next >