come/get away with

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese
I think simple words can always be quite tough for me when they combine with other simple words. Does "come away with" mean the same thing as "get away with"? Does the former means a blessing in disguise? In what kind of contexts could you use those two phrases respectively, positive or negative?

Looking at the plus side, children who grow up in divorced homes can come away with some special skills.

• french4beth

US-English
    "Come away with" has a more positive side; for example, if you attend a seminar and learn lots of helpful information, you come away with valuable information.

"Get away with" implies that you have done something wrong, but have not been caught, or if you were caught, there are no negative consequences. A thief broke into the museum and got away with many valuable paintings.

Matching Mole

England, English
    They are different. Come away with can be used in two main ways, here are examples:
    "come away with me" - either means "Leave with me now" or "Why not come away with me on holiday (or a trip)". It means accompany, basically.

The other means to leave with something, often a prize, money etc. but it could be anything. E.g. "If you try really hard you could come away with a gold medal", or "I went to an sale and came a way with a bargain."

hhtt

Turkish
    The other means to leave with something, often a prize, money etc. but it could be anything. E.g. "If you try really hard you could come away with a gold medal", or "I went to an sale and came a way with a bargain."
    Does this imply being back or returning, for example your house or town, with what something has been obtained?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Does this imply being back or returning, for example your house or town, with what something has been obtained?
    It does in those two examples, I would say.

But you could, for instance, as in post #2, go to a conference and "...come away with a better understanding [of something]" where you don't literally take it home with you.

< Previous | Next >